Best Place to Download Music

Originally posted by dave_3148 leave him alone and stop being such a ass. if you dont like it dont post a reply flaming him about it.

btw i use winmx, you can choose what birate you want. about everyone of my songs is 192..
I think you're under the impression I am against piracy. Hell I pirate more music than most of you guys on here all put together. I just don't want to see this board turn into another lame mp3 board (it can happen very quickly) and then get shut down. That's all.

Originally posted by Natheo as i was saying, bands should make the majority of their money from touring...

the picture of that fat ass record exec with stuffed pockets pisses me off.

its like the whole middle man thing.

i seriously think cds should be like, 5 bucks.

they would sell three times as many, im sure.

if i could walk into bb and pick up 4 cd's for 20 bones, **** KAZAA.
Bands do make the majority of their money from tours. They make **** from record sales unless they own the record company. I remember an article in Rolling Stone a few years back with Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) saying even today they only get like $0.50 for each CD sold. But they make half a million off of each show they do.

You don't see too many artists out there complaining about music on the internet because it helps get people to their shows. It's the RIAA that is complaining.

Originally posted by eengrms I think you're under the impression I am against piracy. Hell I pirate more music than most of you guys on here all put together. I just don't want to see this board turn into another lame mp3 board (it can happen very quickly) and then get shut down. That's all.

Bands do make the majority of their money from tours. They make **** from record sales unless they own the record company. I remember an article in Rolling Stone a few years back with Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) saying even today they only get like $0.50 for each CD sold. But they make half a million off of each show they do.

You don't see too many artists out there complaining about music on the internet because it helps get people to their shows. It's the RIAA that is complaining.
i probably have you beat actually...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

You see the problem is not necessarily paying for a CD, but paying for a CD where you only like 3 or 4 of the songs and even then there is a chance of someone taking it, you losing it, it getting scratched, etc. I don't have a favorite musician of band or any of that so I like to download music so 1 I only have the songs I like and 2 I can find new songs that I may like. If I really like a bunch of the songs on the CD then I will buy it.

I think there should be a way that you can spend $1 or less on a that you like song and then you always have it & it is of good quality. Meaning the record companies would set something up like Kaaza but once you buy a song it is always there for you to download of good quality. Then they get your money, you get exactly what you want and you have it no matter what happens to the burned CD.

5 bones a cd i say.

as long as file sharing is still around, as are cd burners, legal or not its the record companys competition.

pots illegal, doesnt stop people from doing that does it?

Originally posted by mattj i probably have you beat actually...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Possibly.

Originally posted by vic6239 You see the problem is not necessarily paying for a CD, but paying for a CD where you only like 3 or 4 of the songs and even then there is a chance of someone taking it, you losing it, it getting scratched, etc. I don't have a favorite musician of band or any of that so I like to download music so 1 I only have the songs I like and 2 I can find new songs that I may like. If I really like a bunch of the songs on the CD then I will buy it.

I think there should be a way that you can spend $1 or less on a that you like song and then you always have it & it is of good quality. Meaning the record companies would set something up like Kaaza but once you buy a song it is always there for you to download of good quality. Then they get your money, you get exactly what you want and you have it no matter what happens to the burned CD.
They do- they are called CD Singles. You pay three or four bucks and you get just the song, and maybe a B side. Been around a long time.

The problem I have with your argument is that you think you should only have to pay for what you like. So if there are only a few scenes of a movie that are good, should you only have to pay $0.50 to get in to the theater, but have to leave when those scenes aren't on? You pay for the package of work. If you just wanted the song then listen to the radio. I do agree with you- but it will never happen.

It does piss me off when bands release CD's with one or two "good" songs and the rest completely different than the those two. The problem is- it's not their fault. Bands traditionally make one kind of music, but record companies have to look at what will work on the radio. Take Smashmouth as an example. Their first song like 8 years ago was this up-tempo funky thing, but the rest of the album was hardcore metal headbanger ****. Their record company made them do the light temp song to break them into mainstream, they saw it worked and now that's the only kind of music they do. Basically they are sellouts, rich- but sellouts.

Originally posted by Jmac I pay $11 Canadian per CD ... No big deal ...

In fact, I'd say it's worth it ... I support the artist, the label that signed the artist, the distributor, the company that sells the disc to me, and the people who work for the company all for a product that is superior to Kazaa's shitty quality songs ... Ooo, an hour of work for over an hour of music that I enjoy over and over, what a rip off ...
Where can you et a cd for 11 bucks!??!?!??!?!??!

Originally posted by eengrms If you just wanted the song then listen to the radio.
You just brought up the biggest argument against your cause without realizing it. Poeple attacking the music companies are stating that they did not have a problem with people recording off the radio to make their own mixed tapes, why do they have a problem with it over the internet?

To those who burn CDs and try to justify it:

The answer is simple, CD burning is hurting their sales and it's their copyrighted material. They should have complete control over it just as an author has control over his works and a software designer has control over their licensing.

Downloading and burning a copy of Microsoft Office or Windows is the same as a burned CD. Both cases you are stealing from the company who made the product. Some may consider the cracked and burned software stealing but not a music CD. What is the difference other than value?

I personally don't care if people burn CDs or not, all of my friends do. I personally refuse to put the spyware on my computer to receive them. The only problem I have is when people are not grown up enough to admit they are stealing because they feel they aren't hurting anyone. Whether you "feel" you are not hurting anyone does not make it right.

I burn so many CD's its not even funny. Why, do you ask?

-It takes me about 10 minutes to get a whole CD, and burn it

-It costs me about $.50 to make a CD, instead of paying AT LEAST $15 for a CD (new ones are closer to $20, this is NY, after all)

-About 95% of the CD's I burn are mixes, can you tell me where I can find these mix CD's with the songs I want on them? I'd have to buy the CD's separate, which would cost an assload

-Most of the CD's I want aren't even available around here, all they have is 50 Cent and Ja Rule, and who wants to buy that ****?!?!

-I'm a poor college kid, with no job, and no money.

I don't get the controversy here? There is a difference between "sharing" and "stealing". Stealing is walking into a record store, taking the CD's you want, stuffing them in your coat, or bag..and walking out.

These P2P networks are nothing but a way to "share" files, much like you did with friends before these programs existed, or CD burners existed. Your friend would "share" his CD and let you borrow, you listened to it, or in most cases recorded the songs that you liked. Kazaa and the like are no different, these people didn't steal anything, when you really break it down, it's simply a file sharing program...plain and simple.

I download an album to see if I like it or not, and if I do, and I feel that it is worth my money, then I will buy it. If I hear one song that I like by an artist, I'm not going to pay 15 bucks for the CD based solely on that one song; I don't like having multitudes of coasters in my house that deplete my bank account. When I find an album that I enjoy, I buy it. Plain and simple.

Originally posted by Aurorav8 I don't get the controversy here? There is a difference between "sharing" and "stealing". Stealing is walking into a record store, taking the CD's you want, stuffing them in your coat, or bag..and walking out.

These P2P networks are nothing but a way to "share" files, much like you did with friends before these programs existed, or CD burners existed. Your friend would "share" his CD and let you borrow, you listened to it, or in most cases recorded the songs that you liked. Kazaa and the like are no different, these people didn't steal anything, when you really break it down, it's simply a file sharing program...plain and simple.
I can understand your logic....but it has it's flaws. When you download an album and burn a CD of it, it is stealing. Perhaps its stealing in a roundabout way, but it's still stealing. Kazaa, and WinMX use "file sharing" as a way to sugarcoat the truth of what they do. We all know da*n well we're not just sharing songs for the betterment of the music industry. You're taking a product from someone else. That is stealing.

But I love stealing. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Originally posted by snova031I burn so many CD's its not even funny. Why, do you ask?

-It takes me about 10 minutes to get a whole CD, and burn it

-It costs me about $.50 to make a CD, instead of paying AT LEAST $15 for a CD (new ones are closer to $20, this is NY, after all)

-About 95% of the CD's I burn are mixes, can you tell me where I can find these mix CD's with the songs I want on them? I'd have to buy the CD's separate, which would cost an assload

-Most of the CD's I want aren't even available around here, all they have is 50 Cent and Ja Rule, and who wants to buy that ****?!?!

-I'm a poor college kid, with no job, and no money.
I understand buying mixed CDs is difficult and by burning a CD you can make your own customized tracks. But, what did you do before CD burners were available? It was impossible to have a customized CD. If someone told you then what you could do now you would probably think it was stealing. You have just become accustomed to it.

Originally posted by Aurorav8 I don't get the controversy here? There is a difference between "sharing" and "stealing". Stealing is walking into a record store, taking the CD's you want, stuffing them in your coat, or bag..and walking out.

You can call it sharing if you want, but it is not sharing if you make duplicates. You can backup your own copy, no one is saying you cannot. When you loan a CD to a friend, you no longer have it. There is only one copy being "shared". There is nothing wrong with that. As soon as your copy is given and passed around to the point where 100 people have your copy it is no longer "sharing" it is now copying a copy-righted material. I don't understand how you can call making duplicates and sending them around to thousands of people in the nation - sharing. It is stealing, if you are going to do it please admit it.

think about it this way...when theres a bigger demand for CDs...the prices willl rise. if anyone thinks otherwise...they need to open their eyes. same with software. for those people who think programs are so expensive because people make illegal copies of them....thats ********. having a smaller demand for something actually lowers the prices. imagine if EVERYONE started buying CDs again? you think the price would go up or down? im too lazy to lok back but someone said that all kazaa and the like are just competitors to the record companies. i agree that sound quality is better for a CD...and artwork is better as well. (e.g. all Tool CDs and Fear Factory - Obsolete...the artwork for tool is incredible (enough so that i want a tattoo of something along the lines of toolish, but not actually a tool logo) and obsolete has an actual story to go along with the CD)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.