Best of the worst? *Pre-packaged HT in a box*

Johnny Drama
5,000+ posts

Banned
Dramaville
Im on a limited budget and limited on space. I'm looking for a decent HT set up to match with my plasma TV. I dont need anything extravagant, but I would like to have something that sounds good. Ive been on crutchfield, newegg, partstexpress and bestbuy and cant seem to find anything that is worth even the high prices they want for them.

What Im looking for...

5.1 surround system with receiver to power them. (already have a bluray player so I dont need a combo)

small package I am working on limited space so the system needs to fit on a shelf or be hung from the walls.

I do have neighbors in the appartment next and above me so I have no need for something that can blast out the sound.

Budget :$450

If you don't want to spend too much check wal-mart they have the same quality level electronics as best buy for the most part and better prices.

If it's the 200.00-300.00 dollar range it's the same sh*t only gonna get the nice stuff if your going to fork out the cash at a good home audio store.

Years ago I bought a pioneer 5.1 system with the reciever and changer in one unit. IIRC I paid $460 on sale, not sure what the regular price was though. The reciever does 100 x 5 @ 1khz and 200 x 2 in stereo mode + 100 for the sub with all channels driven...

The amount of power is OK and it gets loud, but the speakers left quite a bit for me to desire, infact the 7" sub was a joke.. but I still use the unit today with upgraded speakers and a seperate sub amp and a pair of 15s...

I think you will find similar results with any HT in a box package.. the speakers are sub-par when compared with something 'good'.

I miss my old home stereo it was loud as hell I ran two CV dx-9 15"s a carver a500-x amp and hr-895 receiver, wasn't cheap but it sounded nice eventually the 15"s gave out and I bought some JBL towers with dual 6.5 woofers and a silk dome tweeter that sounded awesome.

Check out some raw parts stores. Can find a receiver that does 100x5 for $200 or so then use the rest to create and build the speakers, enclosures, whatever you want.

Not very convenient, however.

i have 2 logitech z5500 sets and there recockulous...

IMGP4484.jpg

IMGP9434.jpg

and they're cheap!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.