Best midrange/vocal component speakers around 150 dollars

I started out a long time ago with Polk 6500 components on passive crossovers and an AudioControl DQ61 with an Alpine 3548 2 channel good for 60 wpc. It was old school but that system worked and sounded good in a Mazda SUV. I have graduated to many different active systems using Parts Express or Madisound drivers since then with a DSP. Anyway, I had the same issues with those tweeters that you have. One thing I did was glue a piece of felt over the Polk tweeters so that it covered about 1/3 of the radiating area over the grill. This helped tame them to get me by for a while. Then I simply swapped them for Morel MTD-12 tweeters purchased from Parts Express for $35 each and was pretty happy with that setup for a while. The 8 ohm impedance I think helped tame the reflections off the windshield even though it changed the x-over point on the Polk passives, so it just worked out in my case. Then I purchased a JL TwK 88 and went active with those Polk woofers and Morel tweeters while I learned how to use a DSP and REW, and got them sounding pretty nice. I think most people would have been very happy at that point but part of the fun for me is always trying new things. My point is you do not have to spend a lot of money to get good sound. Many aftermarket ahead units can also do active duty or you can try a cheaper DSP such as the Dayton 408, which I also have. 

One thing that that was good about those Polk woofers was the midbass they produced. They were pretty good for that. Also, don’t waste your money on hose fast rings. They are a scam. Sound will go right through those so they do nothing but make the guy who invented them rich. 

Last edited by a moderator:
 Also, don’t waste your money on hose fast rings. They are a scam. Sound will go right through those so they do nothing but make the guy who invented them rich. 
What marerial do I buy to cover the rear of the speakers ill be getting? I already bought that dynamat stuff, enough for the entire inner door. Is there some other foam I use?

Wow. That makes so much sense. All the cars I've sat in have so much muttled sound, and distortion. They just arent tuned even in the slightest.

Jeff, can I text, facebook msg, or email back and forth with you? I have a feeling you have exactly the knowledge I want for my car audio satisfaction. Also, you are only 440 miles away from me, maybe I can make a trip out for a couple days and we can work on my car? I can buy everything you tell me before hand.
search Jeff Huynh on facebook and look for the profile picture with a guy with arm sleeve and back tat. For installs you might want to hit up CSCstang customs he's in lake forest but there's a long line right now so get it in fast. I usually just do the tuning because thats all i'll have time for with my job schedule.

What marerial do I buy to cover the rear of the speakers ill be getting? I already bought that dynamat stuff, enough for the entire inner door. Is there some other foam I use?
I don’t use anything to cover mine but you may find the article here at Sound Deadener Showdown helpful and informative. This guy also has some of the best performing product out there. https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.