Best ground question

, you could just ground directly on the negative of the factory battery.
Why wasn't this corrected?

NO. Your battery negative is NOT ground, its battery negative. Chassis is the ground. If battery negative was ground, then why would you have cables going to chassis? Your battery is not and does not contain a ground, it is a storage bank. If battery neg was ground, it would still work as normal if you disconnected the grounds going to chassis and engine, (it won't). You're either trying to have two batteries grounded through one negative post, or you're saying just run a ground for each battery on the other battery's negative post, (as if the two battery negatives are wired in a loop).

That braided wire is grounding your cab to chassis. I wouldn't do it there, or at the least you want to do it to the other end. If you did it on that braided wire, it would be grounding your cab and your battery through that to chassis.

I would ground the 2nd battery similar to the first, which should be like the big 3. One ground from batt neg to chassis, and one ground from batt neg to engine. I think based off that picture you have a 07-13 body style. I know the alt bolt is good for the 1st battery for the engine ground. I would look to see what else you have that you can find. I want to say there are some holes near the front of the block on that side, but not sure. Depending on where your chassis mount is you can always double it, but that means running a longer wire somewhere and now you're grounding both to one spot.

You could just make your own mounting point. For the best ground, you want to go directly to the frame, which you should have easy access to. You can drill and run a bolt through so you can fit a nut behind it or tap it. You could always get your lug size, and buy a bolt the size you need, cut it down to how much you will use, clean the mounting point yourself, and any welder, exhaust shop, can take a minute and give you a stud directly to the chassis.

You didn't say how you wanted the batteries, but yeah you can connect the positives. Your other option is to wire it with an isolator.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...