Best 8" Subs for Sound Quality and Accuracy

Kabigon
10+ year member

VA
I am getting a friend to build a custom center console for my 1974 Ford Bronco and need help deciding on Subs and then an Amp to power them once I decide on the Subs. The enclosure will be 10" wide since that is as large as I can fit between the seats and something in the area of 25"-30" long and 15-17" high. We are planning on installing 2x 8" Subs, 1x 8" Passive Radiator to alleviate the need for port(s), and the Sub Amp + Head Unit. My other speakers and the amp for them will be installed elsewhere.

I listen to 90% Metal/Hardcore/Rock type music so sound quality and accuracy are my number one & two priorities. Of course, I like it when they dig deep and get loud just as everyone else does but I don't want one of the systems that make the trunk lid shake but sound like trash. I want plenty of power and the ability to hit low notes, but I don't want to sacrifice SQ and accuracy to achieve it.

For budget, I would like to stay somewhere around $100-$200 each for the Subs but can stretch it a bit IF IT IS WORTH IT or even buy used if I can find a good deal.

What would you guys recommend for high quality bass that can accurately portray any type of metal/rock while keeping up with fast, punchy double bass?

Thanks for the help!

i would say the TC epic 8 for sq and power
This definitely looks interesting. Tons of power and looks like it is rated down to 20hz....That can't be right for an 8" Sub...lol

Any idea of the mounting depth on these? They're going in a console so can't be too tall.

Image dynamics id8
Definitely a good looking Sub but only 150w RMS. Kind of on the weak side isn't it?

What is you favorite color. All about taste.
What? lol

I can't decide on Subs that I've never heard....I described what I'm looking for so I'm hoping there's a sub in that small $100 price range window that fills those needs.

The ones I've seen mentioned the most are Sundown SA-8's, JL W7's, and Kicker L7's. The W7's are a bit above my price range and I've heard they're overpriced so are either of the other 2 a great option or is there something else out there?

I need one that will fit my musical taste and perform well in the conditions I stated. It's not really the same thing as asking you guys to pick my favorite color...lol

Soundstream - Reference Subwoofers
you should get a couple of these 8's
Forgot to mention that I need 2-Ohm Subs because I'm going to run them to a single powerful Mono amp in parallel. My bad. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Let me ask you guys this, which would SOUND better and create a balanced system with great detail, clarity, and fluidity?

Single $300-$400 8" Sub

Dual $100-$200 8" Subs

I know that some Subs go deeper and some play louder but my goal is SQ and not being able to shake the truck apart. I want to make an overall excellent sounding system instead of a bass dominant system that thumps loud and drowns out everything else in the setup.

Sorry if I'm being confusing. lol I'm trying to explain myself as best I can.

I second the ID8. Had a pair in 1.4 cubes tuned at 34Hz. Great subs, very efficient, they dont need alot of power to get loud if you wish. If you know what your doing you can throw more power at them. I had 350wrms per sub and they were fine.

Well, the problem is I'm not going to have 5 or 10 of them but only 1 or 2. They will be in an old, loud Bronco and not in a small, quiet car. I'm looking for sound quality but need to make sure they are powerful enough for what I need.

everyone thinks the tc epic 8 is a beast and gets loud and low since its rated for 500 rms. well someone did a winisd on the dd 1508, dc lv 2 8, sa 8, and the epic 8. the epic got LAST PLACE in all fields. its not that great like everyone thinks. TC doesnt make near as good quality subs as they used to.

but for SQ im going to have to say ID

ehh get some 10's and you'll be happy
Can't fit 10's, bro. Like I said, the Console will only be 10" wide so 8" is the largest I can fit since I have to mount them in there.

everyone thinks the tc epic 8 is a beast and gets loud and low since its rated for 500 rms. well someone did a winisd on the dd 1508, dc lv 2 8, sa 8, and the epic 8. the epic got LAST PLACE in all fields. its not that great like everyone thinks. TC doesnt make near as good quality subs as they used to.
but for SQ im going to have to say ID
The ID's seem to always be mentioned when referring to SQ. Are they powerful enough, though? It seems like they are a bit weak but I'm no Sub expert so I'm not sure how those correlate to each other.

Old school round Kicker Solo-Barics, no passive radiator needed as it is designed only for tiny sealed boxes.

^^^That is if you can find them... I remember they made an 8 incher but I'm not completely sure, wish I kept all those old crutchfield catalogs
That would be IDEAL if I could come across some. I would rather have two nice subs that perform well in a small, sealed enclosure than a single one that needs the radiator to function.

Are there any others that are easier to find that would perform well in those circumstances?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.