Thinking about upgrading my low end system... suggestions?

562runner

Hello all,

I'm a rookie at this car audio stuff, but here we go. At the moment, I have a 2005 4Runner with 2 Rockford Fosgate 12" P2's Pushing 200W RMS each with an MTX Audio amp pushing 420W. Speakers are stock, and my head unit is an Alpine CDA 9830.

I want to upgrade them to either 1 or 2 JL Audio 12" W6v2's. If it helps, I listen to Hip-Hop, Rap and Electro/House music in the car. I play it loud when I'm on my own, and not so loud when I have others in my truck. I'm not looking to show off or anything, I just want something for me to enjoy. Is 1 enough? Is 2 overkill?

If I end up getting one sub, I would want a JL 500/1 or if I got 2, a JL 1000/1, but the prices are ridiculous. Any suggestions? Are those subs even good fits?

Is it better to buy the subs used, like craigslist, or brand new in-store?

I recently changed my car battery to an Optima Yellow Top (D35) after 6 years, if that helps.

in b4 hazegrey

that Optima is a nice start for your electrical, since you listen to hip hop, SQ isn't your primary concern so there are plenty of options regarding sub and amp selections. How much money are you looking to spend?

I'm guessing since you're contemplating a W6 or two, that you plan on spending a little $$. IMO, that money can be spend much better than on JL. Not that JL is a bad brand, they make quality stuff. It's just extremely overpriced. For the type of music you listen to, I wouldn't necessarily pick the W6. There are lots of options available for that kind of money, and most likely less, that will suit your music better. Maybe something like the SSA Icon, IA Lethal Injection. Others might add the Fi BL or DC level 3. There's a lot the will fit the bill in that price range. Same goes with their amps. Throw a budget out there, people will be glad to give tons of suggestions. With the money you could save over JL, you could probably get some decent components for your front stage and possibly and amp to power them. One if these quality 12s, in the right enclosure could probably kill the 2 punch 12s you have depending on how well they are set up now.

My P2's hit pretty hard between 2005 to 2009, but not anymore.

For subs and an amp, I would say that my budget is about $1000 to $1300. I wanted to be able to fit a head unit in there as well, like a used Alpine CDA-9887 or an ida-x305s. I've seen some Double-DIN's that I like as well, but other than the Nav, that's all I would use it for.

I'll definitely look up what you all have mentioned and do my research!

Fully loaded FI BL 15 with 4 inch coil duel 2ohm - $370

Fosgate T1000bd averages 1300RMS at 1ohm - $500

Fosgate 4 awg amp and RCA kit - $80

Alpine CDA105 if you have CDs-$140

Alpine IDA-X303 if your like me and only use a Ipod( complete ipod control)- $190

Alpine KTP-445 this is a 45x4 RMS mini amp made for 2008 and up alpine decks. it plugs roght into the head unit. No running wires, 5 minute install- $113

That leaves you with close to 300 bucks for your front speakers, Headunit wiring harness and adapter if you choose the more expensive deck.

I would leave the rears stock cause is the front is good you wont need them anyway. If they blow later on and you want them get them.

This is considering you build the box. It needs a big one. Go check out youtube to see what that beast can do

I forgot to mention, I prefer a sealed box, unless ported is the way to go. I prefer to have some trunk space left so that I can transport things if I need to. Let me know! I was looking at the SSA Icon's and I like what I see. Maybe the DC Level 3's as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the best first question: what are your maximum proposed external enclosure dimensions? The box will determine what you experience at the driver's seat. Change the size, shape or location of the enclosure and you change the effect. So no real subwoofer recommendations can be made without knowing what those max dimensions are first and where you plan on that enclosure being placed. Do you want it up against the rear seat with room to spare between it and the hatch door.....or are you ok with the box being placed all the way against the hatch leaving room to store things between it and the back of the rear seat?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.