Best 6.5 components around $500?

jsun

Boston
I've been looking at the Focal Polyglass 165 V30, Kicker QS652 or Hertz HSK 165s. I've heard a lot of good things about these speakers, but I'm not sure who to trust.

Both the Kicker QS652s and the Hertz HSK 165s are about $430, Focal 165 V30s are $500.

I'm also interested if people think there are better options for 6.5" component speakers in the $500 range for a 2011 Mazda3. I listen to a lot of alternative, hip hop, rock, folk, electronic and some classical.

A good friend of mine runs Hertx MLK,prob a bit more than the $500 range, but I have to say they sound amazing,and much better than the Focal that we herd at the Tx Heat Wave Car audio show this year.to get the good Focal sounding speakers,in which really shine/stand out, you are needing to look above the $600 range easilyup to the 1kand up,in which is what Focal is known for..SQ..Id take a look at some CDT in that Range,of $500,The Hertz would be a better choice for SQ,as the CDT would be better in the SPL,of the two in my opinion, but sound fantastic.I run CDT in my Truck, and have never been happier since in the early /late 90s with JBL components

The CDT ES-62i set would be the one to look at to compare to those brands and models you listed. The price is higher but we can work out a deal. I can also do the speakers without crossovers if you want to run them active.

Yeah, I haven't even heard of CDT or Clarus, but I really haven't looked into this stuff since I purchased some Boston Acoustic components about 10 years ago. Since I'm replacing those, I'm trying to do some research and get some opinions from people who know what they're talking about. There's definitely no consensus on this stuff!

Yeah, I haven't even heard of CDT or Clarus, but I really haven't looked into this stuff since I purchased some Boston Acoustic components about 10 years ago. Since I'm replacing those, I'm trying to do some research and get some opinions from people who know what they're talking about. There's definitely no consensus on this stuff!
LOL..There are several choices on components from 10 yrs ago..Those older Bostons may sound much better than most on the market these days,with clean power, and installation is the real key to getting good sound due to the cheap metal doors these days.It really depends on really what you want ,and want to spend.even the Image Dynamics ive heard sound pretty decent for the money.Whatever speakers you choose/go with,i do recommend preping your doors for best results.A $500 pair of speakers will/can sound like Chit ,That a $100 pair of speakers will sound much better,if not preped/poor installation/min installation procedures

If you want to save some money get the Hybrid Audio Imagine 6.5 set, they do not come with passive crossovers so you will either need to aquire a set or just run active.

I compete professional IASCA SQ, I run the Imagine 6.5 set in a 3 way active front stage. My 6.5's are crossed off at 45hz-120hz they dig deep and still have enough punch if you will on any music I listen too. Hell half of the time I dont even realize my sub is on since my 6.5 do that much mid bass work. I have run CDT, Hertz, Focal, Alpine Type X and R, Cadence and Powerbass 3xl. NONE of them can do what I am doing with my imagines they all seem to lack the low end of the mid bass specturm.

Yes I am on Team Hybrid Audio and yes I am pusing their product, but I also believe in it. There is no magic out of the box you will have to work for it (by tuning, deadening ect ect) But I have never heard a set of "entry" level comps do what I am doing with these, hell even the owner/founder of HAT when he sat in my xB at INAC Finals in Cali, not knowing what I running after I told him he was very impressed.

In the end its your money and your ulimate choice, but I stand behind what I run. If you want a HAT set with Passive crossovers I would go for the unity or the Clarus. We have a Standard cab truck that is running the Clarus set and he doesnt even need to run is center console 8" sub, the Clarus do that much mid bass in the doors.

Good luck in your search.

Nobody Beats Hybrid Audio Technologies In-Vehicle and Car Audio Competition Team or Speaker Systems

LOL..There are several choices on components from 10 yrs ago..Those older Bostons may sound much better than most on the market these days,with clean power, and installation is the real key to getting good sound due to the cheap metal doors these days.It really depends on really what you want ,and want to spend.even the Image Dynamics ive heard sound pretty decent for the money.Whatever speakers you choose/go with,i do recommend preping your doors for best results.A $500 pair of speakers will/can sound like Chit ,That a $100 pair of speakers will sound much better,if not preped/poor installation/min installation procedures
So I really can't spend any more than $600, including install. I was thinking I would buy $500 speakers and pay for a $100 install. My end goal is really just to have excellent sound quality in my car for a huge variety of music. I know next to nothing about prepping my door, installing it properly, etc. That's why I'm doing my research on speaker selection here, and figured I would hand off the installation to a qualified shop of dudes who have been doing this stuff for years. Are there any specific questions I should ask them about their install?

Warranty would be the first question,on the speakers, as well as the main would be warranty of the Install if having it done.Most Car audio shops are just going to replace the stock speakers in the stock locations, and maybe put a little deadner in the location of the speaker if that,and shell you through that door for the next vehicle coming in..But if you want detailed, and the best sound from any and all your speakers/properly installed,it can come at a heafty price,as well as depending on what you are willing to pay for to get the most for your money/time spent.Thats why you find a forum like this with people that do most themselves, and get the most out of what they have,and save money by doing it themselves and learning from others the easiest/best way, and money saving way possible,and what sounds the best in that particular vehicle, from those actually running that speaker/speakers, rather than a sales pitch from a guy needing to make a sale..All opinionated of course/experience..Ill do my own, and have since 1990

Hertz HSK 165 seem to have pretty good reviews. The prive may be above your budget, but it may be worth to check out if a local dealer may have a special right now around holidays. Likewise, HAT Clarus should be pretty good, except that it's pretty expensive, but who knows maybe there is a better deal at a local dealer. Even though I haven't heard the Focal V30, I assume they're comparable to something like HAT Unity as far as woofer and crossover design are concerned, except that Focals may have a different kind of sound signature in the upper end due to tweeter materials being different (this is just an assumption). My preference would be to choose/audit {HSK165/HAT Clarus} over {Unity/Focal V30}. Maybe I would put JL Audio C5 in the same class with Unity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.