Best 12" Sub under $200 (New or used) question

Participant count
  • Participant list

ElmoTheDestroyer

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey everyone, quick question…

I’m on a pretty tight budget. Need to get a good sub for $200... To get more “bang for my buck” I’ve been looking used and had a quick question.

I came across a good deal on a old Boston Pro 12.5lf in good condition. I remember these being very good subs back in the day, and fit perfectly for what I need (great SQ, 2ohm, small box). Tend to listen to a wide variety of music, limited "boomy" music like rap, tend to stick mostly to pop/rock/some electronic stuff like Yello.

My question is, I’ve been out of the car audio world for a good 18 years… I remember the Bostons were awesome at the time, but is there something more modern that would be better for the money?

I have a JL Audio JX500/1 (500w @ 2 ohms), so I’d like a 2ohm sub, or a DVC I can wire for 2ohms. Prefer a 12” driver (single 12).

If it matters, the car is a 2015 Hyundai Genesis with the factory Lexicon system.

Any suggestions on something better, new or used in this price range would be great! (Or verification that for that price the Boston would be hard to beat?)

Lots of pretty nice looking “budget” subs on the market these days, no idea how something like a new Audiopipe BDC4-12 would compare. Certainly look “cooler”/Beefier, but I know looks can be very deceiving in this industry. 😊

Thanks!

Last edited:
There's alot of good options for under $200. Dayton Audio HO if you want sealed or Dayton Audio HF if you want ported (both great drivers).

IDQ is good for either (although slightly over your budget). American bass is more of an SPL company but there RX series is geared more towards daily. If going ported the American Bass RX 12 for $160 is a good balance of SQ and output.

Alpine Type S
Screenshot_20210117-170917_Chrome.jpg

Cant really go wrong with a Dayton Sub Woofer. Most of them carry a 5 Year Warranty. Kind of hard to pass that upon its own.
Though they do have a couple Decent Subs for the Vehicle that do great in small sealed enclosures.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.