Bench tested Hifonics???

not enough peoples own them to warrent a benchmark test //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Seriously, even if they're few hundred watts under their rating, it's still is the best bang for the buck in class d amp. The newest ones are pretty efficient too...

I witnessed a BXi 1608d that started to clip at a whopping 40 volts (800 watts RMS) at 2 ohms on subwoofers (real world test) @ 50 cycles. I know there is a slight impedance rise associated with the enclosure, but that was extremely disappointing to see first hand since it was a tad bit shy of 1,100 watts @ 2 ohms!

IMHO, Hifonics BXi is overrated and CHEAP!

Thanks for the info... I have two Hifonics amps right now.A XX Zues,and XX Colossus.Plan on doing a little something with my durango. From what I see either of those two cannot be "too bad". I see a lot of trophies on the Maxxsonics web site,and the guy from http://www.pwkdesigns.com runs a colossus on two 15 XXX Soundstreams.I think he is in the 150's on the meter.

I am not an electrical engineer or anything .....but those numbers look good to me.It looks like the XX line is close enough to "rated power". //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I am not an electrical engineer or anything .....but those numbers look good to me.It looks like the XX line is close enough to "rated power" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif at a single frequency
There, I fixed it for you;)

I would have no problems running the XX or XXV series of amp from Hifonics if I needed one. Unfortunately, the caraudio.com boner Hifonics Brutus line is just CHEAP, OVERRATED, power.

There, I fixed it for you;)
I would have no problems running the XX or XXV series of amp from Hifonics if I needed one. Unfortunately, the caraudio.com boner Hifonics Brutus line is just CHEAP, OVERRATED, power.
True, and the price difference in the two lines backs up this statement.

What puts out more power a 290 dollar 2000 watt brutus amp or a 409 dollar sundown 1200 watt amp? Not knocking either company or amp but for $119 bucks you can't really argue why someone leans towards another. Some a 3 year warranty means a lot with the service others just want an amp. I have seen 3 + year old hifonics amps even in the crunch line still in use today. Its all where the buyer places their value. 1 year warranty vs 3 year. Someone has a 500 or a 600 dollar budget how is it wrong going with the hifonics?

What amps are better for the price? Are you going to tell me you can hear the difference between 800 and 950 watts?
Nope, but I have heard a difference between a Hifonics BXi 1608 and several other amps when connected to subs. Maybe its psychological or Psychoacoustics at work but the Hifonics sounded dirty compared to a Lunar 2125, Alpine PDX 1000.1 and a JL Audio 1000/1. There were a few other amps by Arc Audio, Diamond Audio, Memphis, and Crossfire that my buddy demoed for me, but I don't remember the exact models.

The whole purpose of the test was to prove why I SHOULD NOT purchase a Hifonics Brutus amp:crazy: because in his opinion, they are CHEAP JUNK! After an afternoon of demos in December, I would tend to agree with him. Of course, I am jealous of my buddy's collection because he has worked at just about every custom shop and chain store in town as a MECP certified installer and picked up his amps for next to nothing, or even free when swapping out equipment in his customer's rides:crying:

With that said, the Brutus line is what you get for the money spent, and that is CHEAP, OVERRATED POWER! Nothing more, nothing less.

I have a 1608 at 1-ohm on my IA LIs and I think they sound very good. For $200 they really can't be beat. It sounds good and gets loud enough that I can't drive around with it at full tilt. Not everyone has a ton of money to blow on car audio stuff.

You get what you pay for when it comes to car audio. There are people here who have ran the same amps in their vehicles for one 10+ years because they did it right the first time. One guy on this forum who goes by RFVega still runs 2 punch 150's after 20 years. He did it right the first time. If you spend $200 buying a cheap amp then it craps out on you, then you spend another $200, then another $200. Hell for that you could have bought a quality amp that would have outlasted all of those cheap amps.

Hifonics has not been as good since Steven Mantz stop working with them to design their amps. The XX line is very good but the rest is cheap budget equipment with bad sound quality.

I have seen 3 + year old hifonics amps even in the crunch line still in use today.
Meh, only 3+ years old..... I laugh at that smidgen of a useful life:laugh: I have a Linear Power 1752 from the 80s that is still going strong! I am about to put it on midbass duty in my Mustang!

Its all where the buyer places their value. 1 year warranty vs 3 year. Someone has a 500 or a 600 dollar budget how is it wrong going with the hifonics?
I have a 1608 at 1-ohm on my IA LIs and I think they sound very good. For $200 they really can't be beat. It sounds good and gets loud enough that I can't drive around with it at full tilt. Not everyone has a ton of money to blow on car audio stuff.
As I said, it is CHEAP, AFFORDABLE, POWER!

Of course, sounding good is subjective. What sounds good to you may be too bass heavy or not as fast and accurate for me, while at the same time lacking mids and highs. OTOH what sounds good to me may not have enough bass for you and probably has way too much on the mids and highs:D

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.