Beginner. Help buying a Subwoofer

Jraut98

This is my first time buying a subwoofer and I am not sure what I am doing when it comes to this lol so I figured someone might be able to help me. I currently have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 stock everything and want to buy a subwoofer for it. I want to put it under the back seat if that's possible. What are your guys recommendations on what I should get? And what all do I need to buy to set it up? Like I said I'm new this stuff

First thing is how much are you willing to spend. You will need an amp, a box for the sub, and a way to connect your amp to the head unit.

If you want to go a more frugal route, you can buy a Line out converter like this, tie it in to the stock speakers and run your RCAs from there to the amp. Or you could buy a new head unit and use the RCA connections on the back. You will also need to run a power cable from the battery to the amp, and run a remote power wire from the head unit or harness.

I've seen boxes that fit under the backseat, so you could purchase one, or if you have the tools and time you can make your own which I recommend since it would be cheaper and sturdier.

As for what sub, we'll need the budget. They do make slim profile subs, such as this as an example so you shouldn't have too hard of a time finding one that fits.

Tbh the easiet thing for you to do is visit a local audio shop and have the throw in a single 10 or 12 under the seat and tap into the factory radio. Otherise you can purchase the enclosure online, buy a line output converter, sub, amp, and a wiring kit so we can help you from there. The budget is imoortant though. You're looking at 50 for a box, 20 for the converter, 25 for an amp wiring kit, 100 for a sub and maybe more for an amp. So coose to 350 just to add a mediocre sub to a mediocre factory stereo. You'll have to decide if thats worth it. Some of us spend thousands on equipment. Even 10 thousand.

I have a lil over $2300 in my 'budget' build, mind you it took about a year to get where I am now with it. That doesn't include what was shelled out for the hdc's that I traded to get the zcon that is sitting in the closet. Will be going a bit more in when this zcon gets reconed, and then a new home for it.

I had a '05 sierra crew cab once with 2-12" kicker comp's (the junky lowest quality ones you could buy at walmart) and a little crappy amplifier. It sounded decent to me, but I had my subs in a car box and just wedged them between the back of the console and the front of the back part of the seat, firing upward towards the ceiling of my truck. Don't buy kicker is all I can say. Especially the Comp R. May as well have hooked up a stock toyota 6x9 to my amp, would have done the same thing as the comp R did.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.