been out of car audio a while. need new hu

burro breath
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
so i havent really been into car audio for a while as my current setup was good for my liking. that was until my head unit stopped working this past week. i had a kenwood excelon x993 which was the top of the line model when i bought it 6+ years ago. i am currently on the market for a new headunit that is either the same as far as function goes or is better. heres what im looking for

single or double din (does not matter)

alot of sound processing ( dta, custom seat position, at least 5 band eq)

usb in

bluetooth

sound quality is what my main focus. id love to finally have a double din navigation but know that thats not going to happen for cheap with all the above features so im most likely going to go with a single din. id like to have an active amp in the hu but its not crutial. my budget is fairly tight and id like to keep it under $800. i was wondering if this is possible and if anyone has suggestions.

The absolute best unit on the market is the pioneer stage 4 dex-p99rs. A bit over your budget but it easily replaces 1000$ worth of outboard processing power. The Pioneer DEH PRS80 is way less money and quite a bit of processing function. Both are very popular.

IMO if you're ready to spend 800$ might as well scrape together another 300-400 and grab the 99. It's really an amazing unit.

The absolute best unit on the market is the pioneer stage 4 dex-p99rs. A bit over your budget but it easily replaces 1000$ worth of outboard processing power. The Pioneer DEH PRS80 is way less money and quite a bit of processing function. Both are very popular.
IMO if you're ready to spend 800$ might as well scrape together another 300-400 and grab the 99. It's really an amazing unit.
Im not helping OP here, I just wanted to say

Holy sht..$1,200 for a **** HU!? JESUS that thing better be throwing money out of my speakers.

theres acutally one for sale currently but its in canada so the shipping and customs fee will probably be like $60

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/head-unit-classifieds/613328-pioneer-p99rs-flawless.html

but check out the new pioneer NEX double dins they have some processing in them, also the new AVH i think do aswell

I wish someone had a eclipse mk7200 to be honest..... what is decent on the lower end of the spectrum in the 500$ range. I was looking at the excelon series and they dont seam much different then my 6 year old radio

Im not helping OP here, I just wanted to say
Holy sht..$1,200 for a **** HU!? JESUS that thing better be throwing money out of my speakers.
Assuming you want to do active crossover 4 pair of RCA outs, 30 band EQ, time alignment you're spending a good 600$ on outboard processing anyway. To have a high quality HU with all the processing power you could want built in it's a fair value. It really is a bad azz processor.

I wish someone had a eclipse mk7200 to be honest..... what is decent on the lower end of the spectrum in the 500$ range. I was looking at the excelon series and they dont seam much different then my 6 year old radio
I like the Kenwood myself, but really you shouldn't be paying more than 300$ either way for a good unit. Adding video brings you up to 500-600$ range, but between 300 and 1200$ there's really nothing you're getting besides the video options. PRS80 is about the best SQ unit you'll get until you're ready to spend a grand.... and really a great value for the prices they sell for online these days.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.