Battery upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list
You're second point is also false.
Isolators are just a big high amperage relay. When they're "on", they do absolutely nothing to "equalize" your batteries. It's basically like a jumper wire.

The whole thing is just wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Where did you hear that????????
so when the car is off, what's the isolator doing that your power wire isn't doing?

so when the car is off, what's the isolator doing that your power wire isn't doing?
The contacts are broken. It's just a big relay. You can use a starter solenoid to do the same thing as the cheap battery isolators.

The expensive ones use diodes. I edited my last post, because the useful isolators do use diodes that only let current flow in one direction.

The cheap ones on sonicelectronix are just big relays. I'm guessing yours cost less than $100.

Well after taking with ram designs it seems the batts i have arnt stable under the hood due to heat issues. So i guess im just going to throw both my werkers in the back, 160ah bank with 130amp alt should be plenty to keep my IA20.1's voltage up. $250 bucks for a 100ah XS that sits under the hood is retarded.....

So im really not wanting to do another run of 0 to put a backup battery in parallel. So now im looking at agm's that cant handle engine temps that have DUAL terminals. I cant seem to think of a good way to attach my stock wiring along with my dual 0 terminal block.

Is 55ah yellow top really going to even help me out? Cant find any others.....

An isolator is not a relay. A true isolator does what the name implies, it isolates the two circuits, whether the ignition is on or not. Cheap products labeled an "isolator" but merely use a relay, are not an actual isolator, and really have no reason being discussed here. Manipulative marketing strategies do not make an isolator just a big relay.

Also, running dissimilar batteries in a circuit can cause problems, and is not recommended. If you dont believe me, check the links below.

"Connecting two battery banks of different amp-hour capacity together in series is a bad idea." - ASK THE EXPERTS: Batteries in Series & Parallel | Home Power Magazine

"We would strongly discourage anyone from connecting batteries in series or parallel applications, if the batteries are not identical in age, size and type." - https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/power-source/can-i-connect-dissimilar-batteries-parallel/

https://www.quora.com/What-will-happen-when-we-connect-two-different-batteries-in-a-parallel

Cheers

An isolator is not a relay. A true isolator does what the name implies, it isolates the two circuits, whether the ignition is on or not. Cheap products labeled an "isolator" but merely use a relay, are not an actual isolator, and really have no reason being discussed here. Manipulative marketing strategies do not make an isolator just a big relay.
Also, running dissimilar batteries in a circuit can cause problems, and is not recommended. If you dont believe me, check the links below.

"Connecting two battery banks of different amp-hour capacity together in series is a bad idea." - ASK THE EXPERTS: Batteries in Series & Parallel | Home Power Magazine

"We would strongly discourage anyone from connecting batteries in series or parallel applications, if the batteries are not identical in age, size and type." - https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/power-source/can-i-connect-dissimilar-batteries-parallel/

https://www.quora.com/What-will-happen-when-we-connect-two-different-batteries-in-a-parallel

Cheers
Hey look another person who understands the facts. No point in arguing with him(adulbrich). I've found multiple reputable sources and apparently I was still wrong

Update!!!!

Installed energizer agm 75ah group 65 and played standard test song.

Last time same gain settings volume 36 had me dipping to 11.2, I ran it at 41 lowest dip was 12.9 and the clip light flagged once or twice so I was near rated. Don't even have the big 3.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.