battery recomendations

Participant count
  • Participant list

masonstephens55

CarAudio.com Recruit
I am in a 1997 toyota t100 and i need some 2nd battery recommendations. I have a avatar stu-15 3000w rms. I have a tharamps smart 3 im running stalk alt with a big 3. i am running all 1/0 gauge power and ground wire as well. i prolly left lots of things out let me know if you have any questions anything helps, thanks!

Last edited:

mike.jpg

You need a high output alternator. Takes power to make power.

You can get yours upgraded if you can find a shop that will do it.

You sure you need a second battery? What's the exact issue? Your batteries store energy, but alternator creates it. If you're on a stock alt, with a 3000w amp, you are around 300 amp draw. You definitely need an upgraded alt, but might not need another battery. Do the alt first, and you might be good to go.

it's roughly 10 amp draw for every 100 watts.
wattage / amp efficiency = wattage draw / voltage = amperage draw.
lets say:
3000w / 80% (.80) = 3750. 3750 / 14.4v = 260 amps.
That is when your volume is maxed out and your amp is pushing those notes at max. Between those hits it's charging.
If you wanted to never have a problem you take your total draw from all your amps, and add it to what your stock is. That's overdoing it on the high side,

Otherwise your alt is only going to draw the full vehicle when the lights are on, the turns, the fans, the cig lighters, fuel injection, (not sure if your vehicle is carbureted or not, or what electronics you have, but it's probably pretty low. I wouldn't be surprised if you are 80amp alt or less.

The type of music has an effect on the recharge rate. Rap with heavy bass is going to draw more than rock or country. You need to figure out the rest of your system, but you could probably get away with low 200 amp alt. If that was all my system might ever need, I would go with the 240 and feel like I had a little bit of room for a smaller 4ch amp too. Up to you. If you might ever want to add another 1000 watts, (if you can see yourself adding more down the road), then now is the time to plan for the total goals on that alt, and get the 300 now. Its a little more now, or it's spending several hundred more later if you do.

There isn't an easy answer where you're at, without considering what else you have now, and what else you might want.

Last edited:
View attachment 51691

i cant find one for my truck (1997 toyota t100 xtra cab) anywhere
how many amps do i need

You sure you need a second battery? What's the exact issue? Your batteries store energy, but alternator creates it. If you're on a stock alt, with a 3000w amp, you are around 300 amp draw. You definitely need an upgraded alt, but might not need another battery. Do the alt first, and you might be good to go.

lets say:
That is when your volume is maxed out and your amp is pushing those notes at max. Between those hits it's charging.
If you wanted to never have a problem you take your total draw from all your amps, and add it to what your stock is. That's overdoing it on the high side,

Otherwise your alt is only going to draw the full vehicle when the lights are on, the turns, the fans, the cig lighters, fuel injection, (not sure if your vehicle is carbureted or not, or what electronics you have, but it's probably pretty low. I wouldn't be surprised if you are 80amp alt or less.

The type of music has an effect on the recharge rate. Rap with heavy bass is going to draw more than rock or country. You need to figure out the rest of your system, but you could probably get away with low 200 amp alt. If that was all my system might ever need, I would go with the 240 and feel like I had a little bit of room for a smaller 4ch amp too. Up to you. If you might ever want to add another 1000 watts, (if you can see yourself adding more down the road), then now is the time to plan for the total goals on that alt, and get the 300 now. Its a little more now, or it's spending several hundred more later if you do.

There isn't an easy answer where you're at, without considering what else you have now, and what else you might want.
i am going to go with the 240amp alt because all i have is a small 4 channel 420w amp and a 3k. the battery i have upfront is a ever start 12v battery not sure abt all of the specs its nothing crazy. but the final question is, if i plan on not upgrading my equipment is a 240 alt good?

That sounds like 240 should be plenty. (If you had a newer vehicle with more electronics, I would probably go higher, but yours doesn't add much to the total draw).

The only thing you need to know is there are two specs for alternators that matter:
What is the amperage output at or near idle, &
What RPM is needed for max output.

Cheap generic ebay alternators that say they are 300 amps, will put out less at idle than a stock 120 amp alt. They also won't give full output until well over 3K rpms. Well what RMP do you cruise at, (and if you haven't already verified this, then keep an eye on it next time you're out and know where it's going to be at most of the time)? A great alternator will do most at idle, and full output around 2K rpms. That's the difference between a $200 300 amp alt, and a $600 300 amp alt.

If any alternator seller can't, or won't give you those two specs, then move on. A great alternator seller like Mechman will give you the actual output curve for your exact alternator.

View attachment 51691

how many amps do i need

lets say:

i am going to go with the 240amp alt because all i have is a small 4 channel 420w amp and a 3k. the battery i have upfront is a ever start 12v battery not sure abt all of the specs its nothing crazy. but the final question is, if i plan on not upgrading my equitment is a 240 alt good?
That sounds like 240 should be plenty. (If you had a newer vehicle with more electronics, I would probably go higher, but yours doesn't add much to the total draw).

The only thing you need to know is there are two specs for alternators that matter:
What is the amperage output at or near idle, &
What RPM is needed for max output.

Cheap generic ebay alternators that say they are 300 amps, will put out less at idle than a stock 120 amp alt. They also won't give full output until well over 3K rpms. Well what RMP do you cruise at, (and if you haven't already verified this, then keep an eye on it next time you're out and know where it's going to be at most of the time)? A great alternator will do most at idle, and full output around 2K rpms. That's the difference between a $200 300 amp alt, and a $600 300 amp alt.

If any alternator seller can't, or won't give you those two specs, then move on. A great alternator seller like Mechman will give you the actual output curve for your exact alternator.
ok, thank you!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...