Battery in the trunk

paul83085
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
USA
Hi i need to put the battery in my trunk for air filter reasons and my question is on the power cable from the battery in the trunk how far does that need to be away from the rca cables becase i dont think i can run them on the same side of the car

Yes it is best to run your power wires on the other side of the car. If you have a really good set of RCAs you can sometimes get a way with having the wires close and not have noise but its still recommended to keep everything as far away as possible heh

Originally posted by paul83085 Hi i need to put the battery in my trunk for air filter reasons and my question is on the power cable from the battery in the trunk how far does that need to be away from the rca cables becase i dont think i can run them on the same side of the car
No need at all to run your power wires away from your RCAs-----why do you need a second battery?

I do not need a second battery we are taking the battery out because the car was built with a larger than stock engine in it and we dont have any room for the air filter and if we take it out there will be room

Originally posted by chris229 No need at all to run your power wires away from your RCAs

I was under the impression that you could get engine noise if your RCAs where close to your power cables . . . depending on the setup, RCAs, wires etc

Originally posted by paul83085 I do not need a second battery we are taking the battery out because the car was built with a larger than stock engine in it and we dont have any room for the air filter and if we take it out there will be room
I miss understood what you were doing --------- you moving the stock battery to the truck right?????? this might create alot on noise in your system------ in this case ----yes keep your RCAs away from this wire----- you better run a heavy --heavy --heavy gauge wire to the front. This is cause your starter is going to want ALOT of current when cranking----200+A

Originally posted by mr4pto  

I was under the impression that you could get engine noise if your RCAs where close to your power cables . . . depending on the setup, RCAs, wires etc
in normal batteries up front cases ----no you don't need to keep you RCAs away from your AMP's power wire. When runing a battery in the trunk ----yes---- keep it away

Yeah the wire is some old weilding wire that my dad had so it is about 2 gauge its more than a inch thick and had to cut it with a hacksaw. Do you think this will be ok for it and does the gauge of the wire have anything to do with speaker noise at all. and how much is a good set of rca cables if this does go wrong i got a set in a kit from schorse or however you spell that think that will be good enough??

Originally posted by paul83085 Yeah the wire is some old weilding wire that my dad had so it is about 2 gauge its more than a inch thick and had to cut it with a hacksaw. Do you think this will be ok for it
do you happen to know how many amps the starter pulls???? this is the determining factor for what size cable you need
and does the gauge of the wire have anything to do with speaker noise at all
no
. and how much is a good set of rca cables if this does go wrong i got a set in a kit from schorse or however you spell that think that will be good enough??
I would make a set from cat-5 about $20

what kinda motor is in the car?? That will give you a decent idea of how much amps your starter draws. If not take it out and bench test it. Im assuming its probably around 60-100 amps, as long as the engine isent a diesl.

Originally posted by blackgeltabs what kinda motor is in the car?? That will give you a decent idea of how much amps your starter draws. If not take it out and bench test it. Im assuming its probably around 60-100 amps, as long as the engine isent a diesl.
thats all they draw?? thought is was 100+ maybe 200A

Im sorry it was along night, your starter will bench test at around 60-80!! In the actual car a 6 cylinder will draw around 160-200 amps. V8's draw 185-250 amps, and disel can be up too 400+ amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.