Battery draining overnight… loc?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MyEvilBanana

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ohio
So I installed a couple new things and I think I’ve trouble shot my problem far as I can without some input as to what to do next…
Car: 2012 Fiat 500
Before I changed stuff everything worked fine what I currently have is: factory head unit, Kicker KISLOC2 loc, Taramps smart3, Audiocontrol ACM-4.300, Stetsom STX 2436BT, Ioxus uStart supercap (uStart is wired in parallel with main battery and has its own frame ground where it’s mounted), big three upgrade, main battery approximately 6 months old
Problem: when left sitting for several hours the main battery and the uStart will slowly drain to dead (the uStart is designed to store enough energy to jumpstart the car in the event of a dead battery)
Troubleshooting: after rereading the uStart manual for the hundredth time I read that it is supposed to go into a standby/sleep mode after about a hour of idle time (idle meaning it hasn’t sensed a voltage change big enough to keep it turned on). By accident I discovered it was NOT going into sleep mode thus with the car off the cap and battery were feeding back and forth between each other draining them both (tested amperage draw at battery car off uStart on between 10 - 40mA which would switch from a positive to negative reading every so often). So I slowly gone through the process of unplugging one thing and then another waiting longer then an hour between things to see if the uStart will go to sleep.
What I found: the uStart will not sleep in any instance with the remote wire from the KISLOC2 connected to either amp or the DSP. Even with the fuses pulled from both amps and the DSP, rca’s unplugged, connecting the remote lead to each component individually one at a time. Repeated this process with fuses in and grounds unhooked same thing uStart won’t sleep. I’ve tested the KISLOC2 remote out for amperage draw (between remote wire and where it’s grounded, same place the amps are grounded) 1) car awake about 8mA 2) car asleep 1 - 4mA
Would like to note the uStart will sleep at almost right on a hour of idle time as long as the remote from the KISLOC2 isn’t connected to anything.
Is there a way to determine if the KISLOC2 is bad?
Would a powered LOC fix this problem?
Or is this just going to be a problem trying to use dc offset for turn on purposes in this car? (On this last one I’d like to note that with KISLOC2 remote hooked up waking the car in anyway turns everything on briefly, unlocking/locking the doors with the remote and opening and closing the doors. I contacted Kicker about this and they said it was because the way the car was manufactured and with that loc that’s just how it would function)

You are right, it sounds like a problem with the dc offset remote turn on on the voltage sensor in the cap triggering each other.
The easiest way to fix it would be to use a ‘add a fuse’ in the cars fuse box. Find a fuse in the fuse box that goes on and off with the key. ( ignition , fuel pump etc. )Use the add a fuse and use that as the amplifier turn on.

You are right, it sounds like a problem with the dc offset remote turn on on the voltage sensor in the cap triggering each other.
The easiest way to fix it would be to use a ‘add a fuse’ in the cars fuse box. Find a fuse in the fuse box that goes on and off with the key. ( ignition , fuel pump etc. )Use the add a fuse and use that as the amplifier turn on.
Thanks. I’ll give it a go hopefully I’ll have some space to work with they really packed stuff in this car lol… what size fuse? Guessing something small like 2-5 amps?

Look for an empty fuse outlet in the fuse panel that will work off ignition, such as Accessory, or you can tap into the radio fuse in the fuse box should work just fine and work off ignition On/Off

Look for an empty fuse outlet in the fuse panel that will work off ignition, such as Accessory, or you can tap into the radio fuse in the fuse box should work just fine and work off ignition On/Off
unfortunately no empties but a couple promising choices, out of town right now have to this weekend
1) Car Radio Switch, Climate Control System, Stop Light, Clutch
2)Diagnostic Socket, Car Radio, Climate Control System
3)Car Radio Switch, Climate Control System, Stop Light, Clutch

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

MyEvilBanana

CarAudio.com Newbie
MyEvilBanana
Ohio
Start date