Batteries?

Participant count
  • Participant list
what do you have and what are you trying to add
I have a redtop up front and a stinger SPV35 in the trunk. I don't really want to sell my battery in the trunk but I wanted to add a bigger battery with it, like a SPV70 or a SPV44. Should I just get another SPV35 so the batteries match?

Batteries matching doesn't hurt.It also looks nicer if they are visible
Ok I will match them then. How do I wire two batteries in the trunk? Do I come of the positive terminal of the battery I already have to the positive terminal of the new battery and ground the new battery?

Correct.You are going to want to connect them in parallel, which is positive to positive and negative to negative.
Sorry still a lil confused. So I wire up the positive terminals on each battery to each other and the negative terminal to each other? I though you grounded each battery seperately to the car.

Actually mixing batteries can hurt.

What kind of battery is the stinger?

If the Red Top and Stinger are both AGM types, then you are OK.

If you mix different types of batteries like a Gel Cel oe Wet Cell connected to and AGM, you will wear the batteries life down faster.

The reason is becasue of unstable voltage and varying charge rates. The batteries will actuallly charge eachother and the plates will heat up. If the batteries sit at different voltages (one at 12.5 and another at 12.9) Then current will flow from the higher battery.

Actually mixing batteries can hurt.What kind of battery is the stinger?

If the Red Top and Stinger are both AGM types, then you are OK.

If you mix different types of batteries like a Gel Cel oe Wet Cell connected to and AGM, you will wear the batteries life down faster.

The reason is becasue of unstable voltage and varying charge rates. The batteries will actuallly charge eachother and the plates will heat up. If the batteries sit at different voltages (one at 12.5 and another at 12.9) Then current will flow from the higher battery.
The Red Top I believe is a AMG type battery, the stinger is a gel cell I believe, but I have them isolated with a battery isolator should this prevent them from charging each other? I was wanting to add a second battery in my trunk which would be my third battery, thats the battery I was wondering about, but I'm going to put another battery like the one I already have in the trunk in there, but I was trying to make sure I wire them correctly.

The isolator does prevent the transfer of current from battery to battery so you are good there.

And if you are adding a stinger to another stinger, you will be fine, even if they are different sizes.

If the batteries are directly connected(parallel), they need to be of the same type i.e. AGM, Gel, lead acid, etc.. They will last longer and charge more evenly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.