Bass Surge need help

speakerdude123
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
WA
So at random times my sub will just make a quick loud hit. Doesn't matter if I am not listening to music, if the HU is turned off, or I am listening to the radio. Seems to happen more often when the HU is turned off...What could be causing this???

It scares the bajesus out of me when it happens and really hurts my ears //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

check your connections on your sub/subs make sure they are tight,and all poss wiring on the amp connections are not exposed/grounding out...check your remote wiring make sure its a solid run,loose ground wiring connection,about all i can think of atm

The sub is now cutting in and out randomly. Sometimes it cuts out for a few seconds then comes back on, sometimes cuts out for 20 min then comes back on. any suggestions? all connections are tight and proper.

When this does happen, the amp has power and lights up as well as the remote bass control. However, and Im not sure if this could case it, the remote bass knob is kinda beat to **** along with the telephone looking wire that comes with it. However the light is on and it has power when the bass does cut out so I am still clueless as where to go from here....

Have double, triple, and quadruple checked all the connections.........

I have unplugged everything and anything to try and get a different response from the system but that does not seem to work....any more ideas?

And does anyone have a recommendation for a "nice" bass knob, do they make fancy ones? I think I have seen some with clipping lights...not sure though...and what kind of cable is it that runs to the bass knob?

http://www. soundqubed .com / Remote-Gain-Control-_p_63.html
ignore this, unless you are using an AQ amp. Only use the bass knob from the manufacturer of the amp on that amp. Some knobs adjust gain, some are designed to boost a certain frequency (EQ knob)...not knowing the design and range on a different knob could damage the amp.

as far as the intermittent sub thump/cut-outs, you have a connection issue somewhere...it could be inside the amp chassis

I have taken apart the amp and glanced over the internals to make sure nothing was loose but it seemed pretty snug in there. I will be taking the box out this weekend and going over everything with a fine tooth comb. Removing the box is somewhat of a chore since I have to remove the rear seat brackets to bring it out through the cabin (very big box and very small trunk) :)

I have taken apart the amp and glanced over the internals to make sure nothing was loose but it seemed pretty snug in there. I will be taking the box out this weekend and going over everything with a fine tooth comb. Removing the box is somewhat of a chore since I have to remove the rear seat brackets to bring it out through the cabin (very big box and very small trunk) :)
i dont think a random "boom" wud be anything to do with the box, its either ur sub, amp, HU, or wireing, are u saying it happens when the HU is turned off or it happens when u turn the HU off. friend of mine had a wireing issue with his HU when it wud shut off a loud boom wud come outta his sub

i dont think a random "boom" wud be anything to do with the box, its either ur sub, amp, HU, or wireing, are u saying it happens when the HU is turned off or it happens when u turn the HU off. friend of mine had a wireing issue with his HU when it wud shut off a loud boom wud come outta his sub
Op said it happens randomly when driving...usually a bad speaker wire connection is not associated with loud sub thump...more like just cutting in and out..but, if it is the only wiring not thoroughly inspected, I would check it out. It could also be a fuse holder with a loose fuse clip, a pinched remote wire,etc. But if the amp stays on like op said, my bet would be a bad RCA cable causing intermittent signal loss and this can cause a loud thump, or diminished output....I would try a different RCA cable, since they can be had relatively cheap.

Op said it happens randomly when driving...usually a bad speaker wire connection is not associated with loud sub thump...more like just cutting in and out..but, if it is the only wiring not thoroughly inspected, I would check it out. It could also be a fuse holder with a loose fuse clip, a pinched remote wire,etc. But if the amp stays on like op said, my bet would be a bad RCA cable causing intermittent signal loss and this can cause a loud thump, or diminished output....I would try a different RCA cable, since they can be had relatively cheap.
I have already tried 4 different brands and types of rca cables....none of which seem to solve the problem. I can live with the loud random thumps, it's the amp cutting out that is the real concern here.

However I do have a set of rca cables that have a ground coming off of each wire (or maybe just one wire). Is that worth a try hooking up?

Keep the ideas coming!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.