Bass hits harder on startup and fades down after driving.

momeigs

Makeshift Bass-head
Hey guys, i’ve been wondering what this is for a while now.

Any idea on why I go to cold start my car, the bass hits harder for the first minute or so, then softens up after a while?

The bass will hit hard af and I can see the difference in how hard it hits with my voltmeter.

Thanks!

Have you tried sitting for a while and listening with the car running? You might be experiencing a phenomenon where the road noise of driving makes the bass sound quieter than it actually is. In effect, it's being drowned out.
Give it a static test with some songs you know well, then go for a drive and listen to the same songs at the same volume. If the bass seems weaker, you might have your answer.

Useless factoid: I did some work with Sony on their ATRAC tech. It took advantage of this "masking" in compressing music for the MiniDisc format. The tech relies on the fact that some parts of music mask others and you could make a file smaller by basically wiping out the data you can't hear.

Last edited:
Have you tried sitting for a while and listening with the car running? You might be experiencing a phenomenon where the road noise of driving makes the bass sound quieter than it actually is. In effect, it's being drowned out.
Give it a static test with some songs you know well, then go for a drive and listen to the same songs at the same volume. If the bass seems weaker, you might have your answer.

Useless factoid: I did some work with Sony on their ATRAC tech. It took advantage of this "masking" in compressing music for the MiniDisc format. The tech relies on the fact that some parts of music mask others and you could make a file smaller by basically wiping out the data you can't hear.
That’s exactly what I thought it was until I saw the actual difference in my voltmeter. In a specific song I tested, the bass line drops my meter down to 12.0 within the begging of the song. The same bass line 30 seconds later only drops the meter down 13.0. The difference is pretty noticeable in the way it sounds too.

I’ve been thinking about adding a second battery for a minute. Any suggestions?
If it's going to be directly in line with the starter battery I've always been told to match them so one battery isn't working harder than the other.

If you have any friends with similar power amps i would try trading temporarily. I had a skar amp similar to that, that was extremely inconsistent and would get hot within minutes of playing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...