Bass flattens out at higher volumes

alan-31
10+ year member

USA
Amp: Pioneer GM-X962 (Max: 760W x 1)

Subwoofer: Hifonics HFi 12D4 (300W)

Input to amp is taken from one speaker output of the car's stock audio system (no dedicated sub output)

Wiring:

- thick wire for ground

- using two "normal" wires for (+ve) from car's own system

- "normal" speaker wires going to the subwoofer - the same kind of wire used for a 6 inch mid-range door speaker

The bass is good at lower volumes but when I increase the volume, the bass doesnt increase beyond a certain point.

Is the (weak) wiring to blame? That would mean I should put in a real subwoofer wiring kit. Or should I get another subwoofer?

What headunit do you have? Its probably a setting with the SLA (Source level adjustment) or if its an Alpine HU the subwoofer type needs to be changed from type 1 to type 2.

Yea, I'm using the factory deck. I took out the signal from one of the speakers and fed it into the amp's RCA input and adjusted the input level (2002 car, the stock audio unit does not have a dedicated sub output).

I know my whole setup is really basic but I need just a little bit more bass and then I'll be happy. I dont need a lot.

BrownVanMan, what do you mean by settings. I'm a total rookie/beginner when it comes to car audio (as you can tell by the wiring I have). Do you mean the level of the input and so on? The bass is good at lower levels. I matched the ohms correctly (4 ohm). The amp accept 4 ohms on each channel. Power wire then eh. So the amps are probably more at higher levels and that causes a voltage drop in the stock system wires at higher volumes?

Just thought I'd come to this forum before trying to replace the whole wiring system and finding out it didnt make a difference.

I should clarify: I'm using 'normal' speaker wires for the wub woofer, i.e., the same kind of wire you'd use for a small 6 inch mid-range or common speaker (and not a sub woofer).

Factory head units often have an artifical bass enhancment that is factory set which enables the crappy stock speakers to produce better low end at low volume then as you turn it up, it actually cuts the level of the lower frequencies to protect the $2.00 speakers the car came with. You can either get a good interface that corrects this issue, or buy a decent aftermarket HU.

Thank you! Interesting hmmmm, so the wiring wont make a difference probably.

I cant get another HU, its built/merged into the car's dash and would be hard to replace. Whats that interface called?

Thanks, I looked at all those and am searching "bass restoration", checking it out. Well, glad I came here, I'd never have found out.

I was looking for this advice as well, I am looking to replace my factory speakers and add an amp, but was wondering what other things I need to consider beyond the HU. I have a Mazda 6 and replacing the factory unit entails buying a whole new interface for the console. I figured there were other alternatives for enhancing the factory output. I have looked at the re-Q but the reviews make it seem like a so-so investment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.