Bass Boost...Bad?

This goes for bass boost and boosting your gains ...

Red = Clipping

I have more issues with my gain than my bass boost. My gain tends to cause distortion and without the bass boost the subs don't really produce much bass at all. I don't run the bass boost full up. I'll have to check and see where I have it currently set. I believe it is used to less than half its potential. I adjusted the gain accordingly and have got a good sounding system currently, but it took a bit of adjusting between the two. I've used bass boost on my subs for about 3 or 4 years now and haven't blown my subs, but then again maybe I'm not getting any major clipping because of how I have the gains and bass boost set. Or maybe the bass boost design on my amp was built better than most.

Nah I dont have issues with my gains. My problem is that after I turn the bass boost past 1/4 and I have the volume high the bass boost light flashes red when the bass hits (red= bad).

Thats what I thought it was. Dont need to worry about it any more. Sold the amp. Now have an Orion 2500d with no bass boost remote (for now).
I wont let u use Bass boost....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

And yes i got a dmm, come to my house monday after school so we can do the big 3.. before i sel the 0g i got left.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif alright

It may not be a bass boost. I cannot find an online manual for the 2500d but on many directed products the remote is mearly a remote gain, allowing you only to adjust the gain up to a mazimum lvl set on the physical amplifier.

I would suggest looking into it. The remote gain can be very useful, and posts no threat to any part of your system assuming the gain is set properly.

If I ever get an amp and the appropriate testing materials I will, but as of now I am ass broke paying for college and a trip to Japan //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

The source of my statement is the owners manual for a Viper d1200.1. I can no longer locate it, BUT, at the time of my joining this forum I had just bought it, and participated in a debate pretaining to this topic.

ALSO, Tracy has clearly stated that the Kicker amplifiers operate this way as well.

This thread convinced me to turn off my bass boost, and the results are great. When you think about it, it doesn't make sense to use bass boost. Why are you boosting bass on your subs that only play bass? It could make sense for full range speakers where you want more bass than mids, and highs. If you want more bass from your subs, turn up the volume on them. I knoticed since I turned off the bass boost, it is cleaner, and more accurate. I think a song that tests the accuracy of your subs is Bow Wow - Let me hold you. The bass on that song is fast paced, and varies. With bass boost up at about +9dB, this song's beat sounded like crap. Now with no bass boost this song sounds almost perfect. I think you guys should try it out on your systems and see if the bass sounds all mumbled, or clear.

BTW: These are Infinity Perfect 10's, I think these woofers are supposed to try to be as clear as possible for SQ right?

This thread convinced me to turn off my bass boost, and the results are great. When you think about it, it doesn't make sense to use bass boost. Why are you boosting bass on your subs that only play bass? It could make sense for full range speakers where you want more bass than mids, and highs. If you want more bass from your subs, turn up the volume on them. I knoticed since I turned off the bass boost, it is cleaner, and more accurate. I think a song that tests the accuracy of your subs is Bow Wow - Let me hold you. The bass on that song is fast paced, and varies. With bass boost up at about +9dB, this song's beat sounded like crap. Now with no bass boost this song sounds almost perfect. I think you guys should try it out on your systems and see if the bass sounds all mumbled, or clear.
BTW: These are Infinity Perfect 10's, I think these woofers are supposed to try to be as clear as possible for SQ right?
Interesting

I've stopped listening to rap. Dave Matthews cd's with live music from concerts has some fast bass drum kicks and my subs do fine on it; then again they're 10's so maybe a system with 12's using bass boost would be a better example.

If your gains are set correctly and your sub is properly powered and you're not getting enough bass, you should try a different setup/box/etc., or a new sub. Beating the hell out of it with a clipped signal will eventually end it's life, and if you keep boosting the bass with all your woofers, the cycle will never end.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.