Basic Questions Regarding 1st Sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

brh1400

I've posted a few questions on other forums here over the past few months, but now that I've gotten the rest of my system under wraps it's time to do some research regarding subwoofers.

I own a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder and currently have 3-way speakers installed in kickpanels. They sounds absolutely gorgeous.

I listen to, basically, exclusively classic rock and do not care about spl in the slightest bit. What I want is a great sounding sub that plays the lower end of the spectrum very nicely. I've more or less decided on a Magnum, but what my question pertains to is what size? Would one 12" be adequate in my SUV? Should I go with the 15"? Should I put 2 12" D2s in? Which amp should I use to power this beast? I see that many use the Tantrum 1200.1, should I follow suit?

Finally, I don't really want to provide another outlet for an eternal argument over the SQ of these subwoofers, but are there better alternatives for SQ than the Magnum (tho, I guess this is entirely subjective... thought I'd ask, anyways)?

There is no rush to this, I'm not looking to place my order for roughly a month or so, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Oh and I'm thinking whatever I decide on will go in a sealed box.

This is only my choice but I like the Eclipse Titanium or aluminum.

I like either concept, or orion amps. If you are looking for good sound quality one 12 would do just fine. I think a 15 would be too much for what you are looking for. Plus the box for the 15 would be larger than you might like. If you are looking to still use the back of the SUV and want a good sound 10's or 12's would do just fine.

The mag would be a very good choice. 12 would be fine like mentioned above. As far as SQ goes you won't really find much better, atleast around that price range. You could always buy my ED B3 though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I own a 97 nissan pathfinder and I highly recommend the eclipse aluminum cone sw8122. I have it in my pathy and it is plenty loud!!! I have it in a very small sealed enclosure and it sounds amazingly musical. If Sq is your only concern I highly recomend the setup that I have. Look at my car domain site and check out the install.

1 12 is plenty even sealed. Just give it plenty of power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.