bandpass box???

Participant count
  • Participant list
Bandpass boxes often have superior output compared to ported and sealed. +3 , +6 db. Although it is only for a narrow band of frequencies. You need large midbass speakers for the system to sound good. but either way you'll have high output.

If all you want is high output stick with the bandpass, but if you want a cleaner sound I would suggest a sealed enclosure. The type and design of the box depends greatly on the type of music you are looking to play and the type of bass you want to hear. If you like a controlled tight hard hitting bass go with sealed. If you want it to be loud and flow long go with bandpass or ported. If you have a nice set-up covering sub, mid-woofer, Midrange, high etc... go with Bandpass over ported because it can cut out the higher frequencies without having to use a complex crossover.

As the others guys have said, it really depends on what you want out of your speakers. Most people will tend to stay away from bandpass boxs because they have a very boomy sound, limited freqencies and may damage your sub because you can't hear it when it's distorting. The best thing about them is that they are VERY loud! Much louder than a sealed or ported box but it comes at a price, you lose sound quality. They are the best for SPL. Sealed boxes are great if you like bass to be clean, tight and punchy, they are also the easiest to build. Sealed boxes arn't ideal if your after SPL. Ported boxes are louder than sealed boxes but not as loud as bandpass. They are harder to build and are what most people build if they want a mix of SPL and SQ. All of this depends on how good your sub/s are as well. Hope this helps mate. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by bass_master As the others guys have said, it really depends on what you want out of your speakers. Most people will tend to stay away from bandpass boxs because they have a very boomy sound, limited freqencies and may damage your sub because you can't hear it when it's distorting. The best thing about them is that they are VERY loud! Much louder than a sealed or ported box but it comes at a price, you lose sound quality. They are the best for SPL. Sealed boxes are great if you like bass to be clean, tight and punchy, they are also the easiest to build. Sealed boxes arn't ideal if your after SPL. Ported boxes are louder than sealed boxes but not as loud as bandpass. They are harder to build and are what most people build if they want a mix of SPL and SQ. All of this depends on how good your sub/s are as well. Hope this helps mate. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I can agree here almost fully. I would like to add and mention that if you spend a LOT of time and money on getting proper dimensions, angles and air space; as well as set-up a full range of speakers varied from mid-woofer (bass) to your highs. It is possible to have a bandpass box perform VERY well in competition. (SQ and SPL) The thing to it is tho that it is much more difficult to build and design properly than a lot of people are aware of and is much more difficult that trying to use Theile Small Parameters for a simple port calculation. Bottom line....... stick with a sealed box and you will get great sound for your money especially if you spend the time to make it right! LOL

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.