balancing subwoofer and door amp power.

Participant count
  • Participant list

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Jbl 621f

Have two sets of these, yet to get them on power. Just running off radio but looking for an amp atm.
I want to go overkill on the amp so I can upgrade to components in the future. I run 2 sa-12's which get pretty loud so I wasn't sure if i should be preparing for the 100x4 range or say 200x4 range on a speaker amp. It's an SUV.

hopefully getting my 2 pairs of these on power gives me enough midbass kick and healthier sound. Right now my doors are piss poor.

If it's not I just have no clue where to start. I'd probably get components, I see alot of people get ONE nice set and just run front channel. But would that even work well in an SUV?
I Just want to be able to turn my bass knob 3/4 of the way and be able to have a decently powerful full range experience.

how much power? 2 sets of components or one? I like to have an upgrade path in mind to avoid wasting equipment

Dedicate your money to a comp set and focus on the front stage. A higher power handling comp set will allow you to bridge a 4 channel to the front and focus that power. Is your headunit aftermarket? If so and if it is active capable, you could do separate tweeters and mids in your front, avoid paying for the Passive crossover component that is part of a Comp set

Dedicate your money to a comp set and focus on the front stage. A higher power handling comp set will allow you to bridge a 4 channel to the front and focus that power. Is your headunit aftermarket? If so and if it is active capable, you could do separate tweeters and mids in your front, avoid paying for the Passive crossover component that is part of a Comp set
I know that's common for small cars. I was just worried about it not quite filling an SUV if I had passengers. or reduced midbass cuz more airspace in the car.

any recommendations? I have no clue whats good in the midbass/ tweeter world. mainly research subs.

parts express stuff pieced together? I've heard the punch component set is alright. also JL Audio C1-650 or NVX VSP65KIT

So it seems that your deck only has 2 sets of preouts. One set is designated to your amplifiers and the other is for your front. Easiest and least cost is to get a Comp set, grab a 4 channel that has 2 channel mode (gmd8704 is a good budget performer) and you’re good. The vsp components are solid budget performers.

If you have a little more dough to to spend, grab that same amp, the budget pioneer dsp or the Dayton dsp ($120 or $150), some massive ct2 tweeters ($75) and some silver flutes($70). I don’t think you could get better and a big swing in your system eq/tunability for under $300

So it seems that your deck only has 2 sets of preouts. One set is designated to your amplifiers and the other is for your front. Easiest and least cost is to get a Comp set, grab a 4 channel that has 2 channel mode (gmd8704 is a good budget performer) and you’re good. The vsp components are solid budget performers.

If you have a little more dough to to spend, grab that same amp, the budget pioneer dsp or the Dayton dsp ($120 or $150), some massive ct2 tweeters ($75) and some silver flutes($70). I don’t think you could get better and a big swing in your system eq/tunability for under $300
nice, thanks for the recommendation. it's between nvx and your pieced together option for me. That head unit was my ONE mistake

I don't know if it's my OCD but it's bothering me thinking of limiting myself to front stage. I'll trust your advice though. I've NEVER heard decent components in my life. only stock and my cheap concerts. I guess I just figured 4 woofers on half the power would sound better than two on more power. of course I understand focusing on front stage allows me to get higher quality drivers.

I was considering buying a line output for the taramps smart 3 running my subs. and then using the preouts for components. but I've heard that lowers signal quality. Of course I could always swing a new head unit if need be. I just want an upgrade path for two more component if It's not enough.

I've also been pining for a DSP.

is running FR/BR speakers on right channel and FL/BL speakers on left channel bad quality? I know I'd lose fade, but I dont particularly do alot of Imaging. could reduce my tuning freedom with the DSP i guess

nice, thanks for the recommendation. it's between nvx and your pieced together option for me. That head unit was my ONE mistake

I don't know if it's my OCD but it's bothering me thinking of limiting myself to front stage. I'll trust your advice though. I've NEVER heard decent components in my life. only stock and my cheap concerts. I guess I just figured 4 woofers on half the power would sound better than two on more power. of course I understand focusing on front stage allows me to get higher quality drivers.

I was considering buying a line output for the taramps smart 3 running my subs. and then using the preouts for components. but I've heard that lowers signal quality. Of course I could always swing a new head unit if need be. I just want an upgrade path for two more component if It's not enough.

I've also been pining for a DSP.
Well a new deck is only going to give you one more set of preouts Max and is going to cost you at least 250$ To get a double din that is active capable. For a dsp the Dayton is a cheaper swing If you want more channels then you will have an extra two channels to play with later. Regarding a front stage dedication, I Have a big ass 2003 Landcruiser and the active front stage is plenty loud for a relatively similar substage to yours.

midbass ; these?
tweeters ; and these?

there are a few different silver flutes. I picked the 6.5's closest to the price you mentioned

I'll probably buy the dayton dsp and pioneer amp. so I can get all 4 of my concerts on power and have some nice eq in the process.

and if thats not enough i'll swing for those.

question. If im only running 2 channels into the dsp. can I still use all 8 outputs?
or do I need to use all 4 inputs to get the 8 outputs

[QUOTE="devin171moto, post:If im only running 2 channels into the dsp. can I still use all 8 outputs?
[/QUOTE]
Yes. each input is assignable to any output via the mixer. You can download the app and familiarize yourself with it before buying

[QUOTE="devin171moto, post:If im only running 2 channels into the dsp. can I still use all 8 outputs?
Yes. each input is assignable to any output via the mixer. You can download the app and familiarize yourself with it before buying
[/QUOTE]
what's up man. appreciate the reply. i'm getting the dsp for sure now.

mind dropping a mid-bass and tweeter recommendation? I love second opinions.
50-200rms range.

what's up man. appreciate the reply. i'm getting the dsp for sure now.

mind dropping a mid-bass and tweeter recommendation? I love second opinions.
50-200rms range.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t really have any recommendations. Sound is so subjective especially when it comes to tweeters. I like a mellow soft dome tweeter you might like a brighter metal dome for example.
personally I’d prep the doors really well. See if I could possibly fit a 7” mid (no replacement for displacement when it comes to mid bass) and try and find a tweeter that can be crossed fairly low like around 2/2.5k range but really it would depend on the response of the mid on where exactly I’d want to crossover at. Most raw drivers have response graphs available that’ll give you a pretty good idea of where you’re probably gonna want to crossover at on the mid then you can look for a tweeter to match up well with it. Or consider running a 3 way.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.