Baffles for 6x9?

91ser
10+ year member

So, I decided to take out my subwoofers. They take up too much trunk space and will save me a little weight. I race so I dont like taking them in and out and I am weight conscience for the car.

I have decided to go with 6x9s in the rear of the car to make up for some of the bass, and later on putting some decent components in front. I will be trying to fit the 6x9s in a 92 Nissan NX.

My question is should I put baffles behind the speakers, or just leave them alone. I would think the baffles would give better midbass.

I already am guessing some people will tell me to keep the subs. But, ive made up my mind. The 6x9s will get me by for bass.

its drag racing mostly, and an extra 100pounds is .1-.2 seconds (which is a lot for my slow car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ). And its a pain to take them out. Also, I have T-tops, and they dont fit very well with the subs in the trunk. So it would be nice all around to get rid of them. In other words, racing is just one aspect of it. Convinience is the other. I think i spelled that wrong.

I have thought about 8" in the back. But even 6x9s is pushing it to its limit. Im not quite sure how ill fit the 6x9s yet. But I think with some cutting, its doable.

its drag racing mostly, and an extra 100pounds is .1-.2 seconds (which is a lot for my slow car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ). And its a pain to take them out. Also, I have T-tops, and they dont fit very well with the subs in the trunk. So it would be nice all around to get rid of them. In other words, racing is just one aspect of it. Convinience is the other. I think i spelled that wrong.
I have thought about 8" in the back. But even 6x9s is pushing it to its limit. Im not quite sure how ill fit the 6x9s yet. But I think with some cutting, its doable.
please for my sake tell me your racing is at a drag strip and if so why would there be anything in the car at all? If you are gonna take away the luxuries of owning a car to make it "race" worthy then why would you just not strip it bare? Half-assing FTL.

Dude dont go cutting your car just to put some friggin 6x9's in. Just go without and buy a decent set of components for the front. I think you will be happy with the sound.

Blah, nobody will answer the question. But I will answer yours.

This is not a drag only car. ITS SLOW!!. But I am trying to break into the 14's. Well, thats my goal for this year at least. Second, this is my DD. I want to be able to have nice sound. Hence the 6x9s. But I also want what little trunk space it has. One for the t-tops. Second, for the grociers i bring back when I go home. (In college, so I raid the cupboards //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So, I'm trying to make a balanced car. Balanced as in street/strip/scca worthy. So, the DD aspect calls for decent sound. Nothing out of this world. But something with all-around good sounds. The racing part, I dont want the weight back there. And I dont want the subs to fly around during scca. This means taking them out when I want to race. Thats just a PITA.

The next idea people will tell me is make a box back there or line it with dynomat or something. I have an easy answer for this. I am lazy. I have many other things to do to this car, and I just want some decent sound. Not blow my mind amazing.

As you hopefully can tell by now, I already know what I want to do with this car. I know my options and I know what I want to do. It may not be the way you people would do it, but thats the spice of life, variety. Believe it or not, there are some people on this forum that dont want full out systems. They want to just have decent sounding cars. I have other goals for this car than just car audio.

So, back to the original question that I want answered. Would it be beneficial to have baffles or would it sound better just leaving it alone.

OO, and yes, drag strip. Id rather pay $20 to go racing safely then spend tons of money on tickets and endangering other people.

I'm assuming you mean the foam ype baffles, so don't do baffles. They are more likely to cause a degredation of bass response than help it.

Check out the Pioneer Rev series of 6x9's. The low notes hit pretty decent with them, even off of HU power.

What is the factory size of the rear speakers?

ya, i tried the baffles myself with my 6.5" alpines and 6.75" kenwoods, and i really really really really wanted to like them, honest i did

but they killed my bass response.... almost completely

and it's not even like a sealed enclosure where your high end extension is unchanged, but you have a mechanical high-pass filter killing your low frequencies, the baffle is flexible, so it moves along with the speaker, and bascially completely stops your woofer from making ANY sound. You'll be hearing only tweeter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.