Bad solder in amp??

Participant count
  • Participant list

n8te81
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I recently had my amp cut out last weekend so i decided to take it out and take a look.When i took the amp out i noticed a rattling noise inside and pretty much knew there was the problem. Im not sure what to call it...(sorry for my stupidity) but it looks like a green small eraser with 2 lines with a wire through it,maybe a diode idk.Anyways i went to a PC shop here in town and had them do the solder and it was good and solid bead.Two days later my amp cuts out again and im pretty sure its the same thing but ill have to look tomm.This is the second time ive had to get it fix cause i dont know what else to do.Anyone have any idea what could be causing this over and over???

Hey D long time no see....its my marc antony 100.4,Ive had it for awhile....i dont know if this would have anything to do with it but here in texas its been pretty much over a 100 degrees everyday for almost 2 weeks now and i didnt know if my car with the windows up all day sitting there with all that heat to the amp would mess anything up.

yes, high heat + the amp running can cause failures.

when something breaks off, it can travel elsewhere, shorting out other parts of the amp. and when one piece failed, it can take others with it.

i've used freeze spray to identify bad solder joints when the amp/device is working. you can recreate problems that are temperature/solder joint related with freeze spray.

Well this last time it happened it didnt completely come off it was just one end that broke.I havent got to look at the amp again to see what it was this time but like i said im pretty sure its the same thing.I almost wanna just say screw it and get a SA 100.4 but i really like this amp and didnt wanna just trash it just for one stupid solder point that keeps breaking but idk.

well if you trash it, send it to me.

also, i wouldn't trust a pc shop to solder anything of mine. there is not much soldering involved in pc repair.

also what your describing sounds like a resistor if i had to guess, and maybe came from near the output fets. could you post a picture of the part and its location?

Ill try and get one later on tonight. I only had a PC place do it just because its the only option i could think of. I cant think of anywhere else that would do that sort of work cause its not like there is a amplifier repair shop in town.I was kinda told by a guy at a audio place here that the part messing up regulates the voltage and the piece is almost in the side just kinda to the side.

qxkm6s.jpg

2u7r6ew.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.