Bad news for lithium...

Eggroll

RingsOfSaturn>your music
Heard from my buddy that:

"lithium batts only have so many hours of play time till you need to plug them into a lithium charger, and that regular alts don't charge them properly. Takes like 3 hours of alt charging to get them to good enough capacity vs the 1 hour of charging with a charger"

Is this true?

Kevin at jb said otherwise and theyve been around long enough for this to have popped up. I wouldnt listen to your buddy completely.

His direct statement

"No special charger will be needed. Lithium actually holds up better than lead acid when sitting. You can use any lead acid charger to top it off as well. Mixing with agm's is just fine as well. "

His direct statement "No special charger will be needed. Lithium actually holds up better than lead acid when sitting. You can use any lead acid charger to top it off as well. Mixing with agm's is just fine as well. "
Idk Kevin at juicebox told my buddy to get this ctek 12v lithium charger for his lithium 12v batts when he had it. Lol but my buddy only had lithium... He wasn't mixing with agm batts

you could talk to the actual manufacturer.. who knows about the specific cells being used in their batteries... not necessarily a one size fits all approach for lithium 'yet'

there's a lot of different types

you could talk to the actual manufacturer.. who knows about the specific cells being used in their batteries... not necessarily a one size fits all approach for lithium 'yet'
there's a lot of different types
I was gonna do that but was a afraid of a "if you don't know don't get it" response (like when asking about wiring low)

I was gonna do that but was a afraid of a "if you don't know don't get it" response (like when asking about wiring low)
when talking to the manufacturer? be up front with them then, ask for an explanation of what cells they use and how they work with other batteries and your specific electrical, whether it be high output alternators or batteries. i like to come off less knowledgeable than i am sometimes when talking to a company, just to see if they give me ********. if they explain things and legitimately know what they're talking about its usually a good sign. call an alternator shop and they dont know what specific regulator, stator, and rectifier they use then i dont understand how they can back their product

when talking to the manufacturer? be up front with them then, ask for an explanation of what cells they use and how they work with other batteries and your specific electrical, whether it be high output alternators or batteries. i like to come off less knowledgeable than i am sometimes when talking to a company, just to see if they give me ********. if they explain things and legitimately know what they're talking about its usually a good sign. call an alternator shop and they dont know what specific regulator, stator, and rectifier they use then i dont understand how they can back their product
Very true and valid points sir, I agree. Thank you sir!

Got a LONG way to go if you or at least the friend believes that about lithium in terms of knowing how lithium should be treated..

Seriously, that's ridiculous.

Ask your friend if he knows if you are suppose to charge lithium batteries up to 100% or not?

Simple question? See what he says.. His answer will dictate his knowledge on lithium- and i assume we are talking about 4SLiFePO4s, correct?

Got a LONG way to go if you or at least the friend believes that about lithium in terms of knowing how lithium should be treated..
Seriously, that's ridiculous.

Ask your friend if he knows if you are suppose to charge lithium batteries up to 100% or not?

Simple question? See what he says.. His answer will dictate his knowledge on lithium- and i assume we are talking about 4SLiFePO4s, correct?
Even I know that no one should ever charge lithium to it's maximum, nor have it discharge to unsafe low volts. I now agree with my original thoughts that using lithium should be fine as long as one knows what they're doing

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.