bad fatmat, or bad install

its butal rubber not asphalt based, wonder how it did that...
It is asphalt. Installation technique only determines determines whether or not asphalt will fall of in the short term. The only way heating asphalt will prevent it from melting over time is if you cook i so thoroughly that you drive all of the VOC's out at the time of installation. This renders the material completely inert and all but eliminates the limited damping capacity it had to start.

The heating most people do - enough to soften the material enough to make it sticky - can actually accelerates the process that eventually leads to melting.

It's been very well established that it takes 8-10 times as much asphalt as purpose built vibration damper to even approach the same result. That means that you pay more for the apparently less expensive option, do more work, get a poorer result and still risk product failure.

The only possible exception is an SPL installation, where you don't want vibration damping. Even if you consider the vehicle expendable, there are less expensive and more reliable options.

Thanks to everybody for your replies. I think it is a bad install. I ripped the fatmat off one door. It looks like they put a layer of adhesive around the perimeter of the door and the adhesive melted. All of the fatmat should be stuck to metal, right??????? Most of the fatmat is loose and the back of it never attached to the metal. View attachment 26532123

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.