bad fatmat, or bad install

bstarrett2

My wife was kind enough to by me fatmat for Christmas. I had it installed on my Honda Fit by a local shop who I've used for over 10 years. As soon as the weather got up to 70 degrees, black gooey stuff starting leaking out from behind 3 of the door panels. I took a couple of pics, including 1 attached.

Any clue

1) What is the cause?

2) How to clean it? I used tar removal and it worked ok, but I have 2 more doors left and I'm grumpy

3) How to seal it the best I can so it doesn't continue to ooze...or should I just remove it all?

I tried contacting fatmat over a week ago online and on the phone and haven't heard back from them. The shop said they have never seen it before and it is probably a bad batch of fatmat.

Thanks,

Brian

Clean it off and maybe put a little bit of spray foam around the edge of the deadener so it doesn't leak as a temporary solution. However if the adhesive is leaking like that then you aren't getting the full potential out of the deadener.

I used fatmat on my last car. Meh... But it never did that. And it's gets freakin' hot in Tulsa. Maybe the shop is right. Bad batch. I'm sure it happens.

You can take your panels off, and take a heat gun on high@1500* and heat it up.Sounds like your installer just put it on without using a heat gun,and prob didnt use alcahol to clean the surface before applying it.I live in Tx, and it gets HOTT here,and I will see how it goes.But I used the heat gun to apply in which melts the adheasive together and sticks.Take the heat gun and do that,and if you still have an issue,your doors are sealed, and Id get like some 1/4 plywood spray some paint on it to seal the wood, and screw it down and seal with silicone, and that will deff take care of your issue.Yet, the Installer did not clean the surface and apply the FattMat with a heat gun is my opinion.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/boink.gif.91933e72f927f2cefc79aff02573090c.gif:boink:

i believe it is an asphalt based compound with butyl added, if im not mistaken.

its a pressure sensitive adhesive compound, thus you must make sure it is very pliable (warm) to compress it to the surface. after it expands back the compound grips the surface and pulls back together like a rubber band under tension. i have never had problems after installing mine.

most likely a bad batch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.