Auto dimming not working properly

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wascalwabbit

I just installed a pioneer deh-x6800bt in a kenworth t800. I tested the pwr gnd ctrl and dim wires before wiring in the harnesses. Dim read the way I had expected it to, lowering in voltage as I turned the dim setting down, so I figured it works as intended. Now I have the stereo in and when I set the dim options to auto sync only one thing happens: If I turn the headlights on and the panel lights all the ways down the illumination goes to full brightness. All other combinations dim. I'll retest the dim wire when I have a chance and post the results, unless someone already knows how tonfix this.

Thanks

i watched https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/How+To+-+DEH-X6800BT+-+Color,+Illumination+and+Dimmer and it seems like thats the way it is supposed to work, i dont think the digital 1-10 brighness settings will increase or decrease with the variable analog potentiometer that you use for normal dash lights. If it senses a voltage change on the dimmer wire like when you turn on the headlights it will go into dim mode. i think the lowest setting on your cars dimmer is not enough of a voltage change on the dimmer wire for the head unit to realize it should change to dim mode.

Thanks for the reply. I did watch that video as well, and my expectation was not that the lights of the head unit would dynamically get brighter/dimmer. Its just that I would expect the radio to go from the bright mode to the dim mode when I dim my dash lights, but it actually does the exact opposite.

Usually if you apply 12vs to the orange wire the radios will dim about 50% ..on some of the older radios ..they would sometimes illuminate additional backlighting for the controls ..like presets and such and not effect the display

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.