Audioque amp overheating.

bump465

Senior VIP Member
Arizona
So i recently upgraded my electrical reserve and now have 1150AH of batteries stockpiled in my car. After doing this i decided to install my old aq2200 and wired it down to .5

I know the amp will get much less efficent and therefore hotter but after letting it pound for ~25 minutes it was almost to hot to touch.

Im looking for some drastic upgrade that can remove all this excess heat.

I say "drastic" as i have 300watt 120V outlets in my car that i would like to put to use.

The amp is located above my spare tire in my trunk so i was thinking of removing the spare tire and the underside of the amp and putting a shop fan in there to blast the **** out it.

the idea of a 6 inch can fans push/pull system also crossed my mind to send hot out and cool in.

However i feel these solutions are adaquate at best - so my question is does anyone have a fool proof system of keep down the tempature? maybe a liquid cooling kit for a graphics card can be repurposed? Small AC unit? Any new ideas greatly appreciated!

Any ideas or input would be appreciated as im looking for the most efficetive cooling method possible, not nessicarily the most practical.

O

So i recently upgraded my electrical reserve and now have 1150AH of batteries stockpiled in my car. After doing this i decided to install my old aq2200 and wired it down to .5I know the amp will get much less efficent and therefore hotter but after letting it pound for ~25 minutes it was almost to hot to touch.

Im looking for some drastic upgrade that can remove all this excess heat.

I say "drastic" as i have 300watt 120V outlets in my car that i would like to put to use.

The amp is located above my spare tire in my trunk so i was thinking of removing the spare tire and the underside of the amp and putting a shop fan in there to blast the **** out it.

the idea of a 6 inch can fans push/pull system also crossed my mind to send hot out and cool in.

However i feel these solutions are adaquate at best - so my question is does anyone have a fool proof system of keep down the tempature? maybe a liquid cooling kit for a graphics card can be repurposed? Small AC unit? Any new ideas greatly appreciated!

Any ideas or input would be appreciated as im looking for the most efficetive cooling method possible, not nessicarily the most practical.
1150ah of battery????? ...u sure u dont mean 1150cca..bc 1150ah would be equivalent of 9 g31 batteries.if u do have that much thats fine but a single aq2200 shouldnt get hot at all...i run a aq3500 with 290ah of batt and i can play mine for hours and its barely warm

Thats not a fun solution, sure i could wire it to 4 ohms and make it fridgid, or probably 1 ohm for that matter. with exception to increasing impedence what is the second best way to cool it off?

Wiring shouldnt be a problem i have 2 runs of CCA 0awg going into my dist block with a single run of OFC 0awg to the amplifer.

I have an oscope and havent checked for clipping yet but it did not sound like it was clipping to bad, I very well could have been squeezing some squares out of it so ill take a look at that. thanks, any other suggestions?

I got some streetsweeper/ solar batteries in there http://www.crownbattery.hu/datasheets/CR-395.pdf

i have 2 of those wired in series

and i have an xspower d975, shuriken bt120, an 105 Ah agm and my starting battery

I dont see my batteries being a problem.

I do however still have my stock alternator installed 120Amp big 3. I have a 200 Amp alt waiting to be installed but that isnt going to happen for another week or 2.

my voltage stays in the 13's with a brick wall at 12.6 (i cant drop it past 12.6 when i try.) I realise this factory alt may be some of the problem but my voltage seems high enough.

Another factor to consider i suppose is i am extreamly pressed for space and the amp is wedge fit in my trunk, its still strapped down properly to reduce shaking but the heatsink fins arent very exposed, and the only vertical fitting option is mounting on the box, which i do not want to do.

Need your HO alt and make sure it's not putting out clipped power. That amp will take .5 all day long with decent electrical. One batt is NOT enough....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.