Audiobahn ABC525 + HiFonics Z6400 = BOOM

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dixiesys

System rundown:

Sony head unit (CDX-70? something like that MP3/etc nice unit)

HiFonics Brutus 1500 D-class 1-ohm mono load

2 12" Audiobahn 1200Q subs in a sealed box

HiFonics Z6400 4x175@2ohms per channel.

2 pair AudioBahn ABC525 comps up front

2 pair AudioBahn ABC525 comps in rear

Anyway when the installer first installed the front comps he only used one set of crossovers (hooking 2 woofers and 2 tweeters to each crossover) well this sounded like crap, highs cut off at 1/3 volume and I even saw a little smoke so I took it back, and he put in both sets of Xovers. Couple nights ago I was coming home and had it cranked for a few minutes and the right side crossover (one or both) exploded, and I mean "BOOM" flash of light from under my dash and smoke.

Is this common? could there have been a grounding (he removed the plastic cover from the Xovers to save room tho there aint' that much metal in the dash of a Tracker).

The ABC's are rated 140rms and should only be taking about 85rms per set so they shouldn't be getting more than they're rated for, the Z6400 is rated at 175x4 at 2ohms per channel.

I think I'm gonna forego comps up front and just use regular 2 or 3way 6" in the door but is this at all common or is my luck just bad?

Your setup sounds fine (minus the head unit). Your Audiobahn components should be under warranty if you bought from an authorized dealer. I suggest taking your car to another Audiobahn dealer and pay for a reinstall and never go back to the first installer again.

wow, I have a ABC6002 set witch just a small set-up, nothing really expensive and i have had it for about 3-4 months now and i just in the last week or so have noticed that the crossovers like to "light-up". inside them there is a overload fuse that lights up, and i mean bright!! like a light in your house. It happends when it is cranked up, and im not putting much power into them.. orion CS100.2 witch does 50x2, just a little under-rated but when they light up.. i dont think that is is good for the fuse.. Is this normal do you think? I also think audiobahn rates their speakers as a set like 140rms... is like for the pair, so 70rms per speaker? what do the caraudio gods think?

wow, I have a ABC6002 set witch just a small set-up, nothing really expensive and i have had it for about 3-4 months now and i just in the last week or so have noticed that the crossovers like to "light-up". inside them there is a overload fuse that lights up, and i mean bright!! like a light in your house. It happends when it is cranked up, and im not putting much power into them.. orion CS100.2 witch does 50x2, just a little under-rated but when they light up.. i dont think that is is good for the fuse.. Is this normal do you think? I also think audiobahn rates their speakers as a set like 140rms... is like for the pair, so 70rms per speaker? what do the caraudio gods think?
that "overload fuse" I think is actually a light bulb kind of like the ones used in the overhead dome lights of cars, at least that's what it looks like to me. I've installed that abc 6.5 component set and used 100wrms per side on them and they sounded pretty darn good, but I think the problem is an installer that doesn't know what he's doing and needs to go back and get some training or something. To me common sense would tell me as an installer that if the componet set comes with two pair of crossovers and four speakers then you would use a set for each side and not just discarded the use of one crossover. Get yourself a new installer..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.