Audio Control Epicenter

Participant count
  • Participant list
Thats a better explination from what i have heard in the past...its just to early for me to think of works like Enhancer.

Good job duder.....

work @ 7 a.m. FTL

I owned an Epicenter for over a year and have a reasonable understanding of how it works; i'll give it a shot.

The Epicenter is a digital bass restoration device.

You send the Epicenter a full range, un crossed over signal. The epicenter looks at this signal and computes based on higher frequency octaves what it believes should be present in low frequencies. This is important to realise, because whereas a normal 'bass boost' requires that bass must be present in your source media/signal in order to boost it, the epicenter *does not give **** if any low freqs are already present*. It uses some kind of crazy subharmonic algorithms to figure out what it thinks should be present in the low frequencies based on what it sees in the higher frequencies.

You choose on the Epicenter what range of frequencies you want to adjust, both the center point and how wide of a range to adjust. That is done on the unit itself with 2 nobs labelled 'wide' and 'sweep'.

Directly from Audiocontrol - "The Sweep knob allows the user to pick the center frequency of the bass restoration. With the Sweep knob turned all the way to the left, The Epicenter® is centering restoration on 27Hz. With the Sweep knob turned all the way to the right, The Epicenter® is centering on 63Hz. The middle position represents approximately 45Hz. The Sweep knob can be set to center The Epicenter®'s restoration anywhere between 27Hz and 63Hz.

The Wide knob allows the user to control the width of the restoration. With the Wide knob turned all the way to the left, bass response is tighter and harder hitting. With the Wide knob turned all the way to the right, the bass response becomes more booming and open."

Once you've tuned the unit to 'boost' (create) bass in the right frequency range, you then adjust how much restoration you want by turning the nob that is mounted in the front of your vehicle.

Because the epicenter takes an un-crossed over signal to work correctly, you must cross over your signal AFTER the epicenter, which means those of you using crossovers on your non-fader output on your decks will need to change to using an outboard powered crossover or an internal x-over on your subwoofer amp to keep your subwoofer from seeing higher frequencies.

Along with this digital bass restoration, the epicenter functions as a signal boost, capable of boosting your signal strength all the way up to 10volts from only a 2v source (deck), and also has a module that can be switched out for high passing at 20hz or whathaveyou....PFM subsonic filter dealio.

It supports both balanced and unbalanced inputs.

You can make ANY music absolutely ****ing thunderous with the epicenter. You can also drive your amplifier into HARD clipping EXTREMELY easily if you do not know what you are doing. On the plus side, an old ass punch pushing a shitty ass Kicker CompVR in a sick ported box can sound obscenely loud when it's clipped all to hell. On the negative side...it sounds like complete **** too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

The Epicenter is a bass-head's toy, not much more. Using it on some music results in muddy worthlessness. Using it on other music results in sickeningly badass, punchy and consuming bass. It's hit and miss, and you only get to tune the freqs to re-create bass in on the unit itself, so you can't tweak it for each song. You've just got the ability to turn it 'off' (nob down) or adjust how much it recreates by turning it up. It's a glorified parametric EQ merged with a badass harmonic bass restoration device.

Read the manual for some pretty pictures showing what i described //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

http://myeporia.eporia.com/Resources/Company_38/epicenter_OM.pdf

Hope this helps; feel free to correct me if someone else with a better understanding comes along.

Well, to be honest..i bought mine second hand and had no manual, so for months i used mine on a crossed over signal. It still works. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It just doesn't work as well as if it had a full signal, hehe. I sold mine off for the same reason; wanted to centralize my processing to my deck and didn't really have a hankering for thunderous bass anymore; i realised how loud LOUD really is and just sorta quit ****ing with volume and started trying to build a better sounding system instead. Glad I could help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I bought an Epic 150 cause i saw it on ebay for 76 bucks and plus i neede somthing to full in the 1/2 din empty space unde my head unit. I"m going to run it with an Alpine ERA G320 so it ought to be interesting. It's going to be paired with a Rockford T5002 and a JL12w6v2, so i'm expecting better then crap bass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.