Audio Brand Quality List? Price/Performance Question

Sman83

CarAudio.com Newbie
What brands do you consider quality for their price/performance ratio?

I'm sure this is subjective, but I see a lot of brand names thrown around, smaller companies, and I can't decipher between genuine response and the sarcastic ones.

I see some amps claiming 1200w for $400 and I'm skeptical of that price/performance ratio.

Tons of variables to that question.

You can get 1200 watts for $200 these days. No way I would pay $400 for 1200.

I don't want anyone to overthink it. For instance a Boss or Pyle amp would surely be towards the bottom while a JL or Orion amp would be towards the top.

I don't want anyone to overthink it. For instance a Boss or Pyle amp would surely be towards the bottom while a JL or Orion amp would be towards the top.

Yes boss and pyle would be bottom of the barrel. JL is decent but overpriced. Orion.. Well Orion filed for bankruptcy.

I'm no nut hugger I have ran a bunch of brands but Sundown would have to be my favorite. They actually do the R&D on their products and improve them all the time. Not just some Chinese build house subwoofer like alot of brands.

Yes boss and pyle would be bottom of the barrel. JL is decent but overpriced. Orion.. Well Orion filed for bankruptcy.

I'm no nut hugger I have ran a bunch of brands but Sundown would have to be my favorite. They actually do the R&D on their products and improve them all the time. Not just some Chinese build house subwoofer like alot of brands.

My info I relied on is 15-20 years old and outta date hence the JL and Orion references. Info like Sundown is good. That's what I'm looking for. I've never even heard of Sundown before

I've also seen Skag and Bass Acoustics? Looking at the pics they seem solid. Huge magnets etc but some here aren't too thrilled with them.

Since you've ran many brands could you rate them on a scale of 1-10?

I guess what I'm interested in is not the advertised ratings but the actual performance. For amplifiers this would be actual RMS per dollar. So using the 1200w amp for $200 assuming that all 1200w are usable it'd be .17 cents per watt rounded up.

I see some amps claiming 1200w for $400 and I'm skeptical of that price/performance ratio.
That's getting up into the MSRP where you are paying retail/dealer markup and buying from a brand that does real R&D (like has engineers on staff full time designing circuits and custom/proprietary builds). You can still approach 1990's price per watt if you get into the real premium brands, while you are (usually) getting high build quality and proprietary technology from them you do start paying just for the name and prestige in some brands.

Sundown is good, but they don't really do R&D and pretty much everything you can get from them you, or I, or anybody else could call up China or Korea and buy as well. There are a dozen companies who just slap their brand name on whatever gets cranked out of Far East sweatshops, Sundown is probably top of the pack, if nothing else than for their very solid support and warranty.

Orion has had their ups and downs since the good old days, as has been mentioned word on the street is they're in financial trouble right now which is unfortunate because it seemed like they were starting to get their **** together again and had a few really solid products come out over the last several years.

Bigger question is what are you trying to accomplish and what are your priorities?

I am a DD guy.
Mostly because I fear change.
The problem is they have gotten really expensive and not that easy to get
It actually kinda pisses me off like they too good to sell to the common folk.
I know that's not why but still
That being said Soundqubed is very similar for obvious reasons and quite reasonably priced
Only time will tell if the quality is as good but for now it works
A lot of companies have gone the other way and started putting out reasonably priced products
I know when I first saw Taramps I thought it was a another Pyle or Pyramid but I was wrong

I know when I first saw Taramps I thought it was a another Pyle or Pyramid but I was wrong
Build quality and reliability are probably a bigger issue for Taramps, but at least they'll make rated power.

DD business model involves B&M dealer network. They've done well enough building a reputation that people will pay the high MSRP at local shops. That business model isn't the best for a determined DIY'er but it likely saves the manufacturer an awful lot of headache.

Build quality and reliability are probably a bigger issue for Taramps, but at least they'll make rated power.

DD business model involves B&M dealer network. They've done well enough building a reputation that people will pay the high MSRP at local shops. That business model isn't the best for a determined DIY'er but it likely saves the manufacturer an awful lot of headache.
The problem I have is the lack of dealers
We used to have one around here but they stopped and now the closest one is 16 hour drive
Just make it available online damn it :)
The only place I can find that will sell online is in Australia and I am hesitant to say the least to buy from that far away
Even then anything over the 700 series for Subs are a US only
Plus the shipping on a 40 lbs box from there would make it not worth it.
It's just really clique
If your not part of the club you can't have it kinda thing

I’m a big fan of SSA, Incriminator, and Sundown. I have plenty of JL (I buy used) and really like their amps and the W6 line. It really comes down to your wants/goals. There’s a lot more solid companies

I’m a big fan of SSA, Incriminator, and Sundown. I have plenty of JL (I buy used) and really like their amps and the W6 line. It really comes down to your wants/goals. There’s a lot more solid companies

This is all good info, especially the China part and brand names. The China part explains explains the lows prices and questionable quality for Sundown but if the warranty is top notch, the former point is moot.

We used to have one around here but they stopped and now the closest one is 16 hour drive
Just make it available online damn it
Most of those "dealer only" companies will deal with you direct if there are no nearby brick and mortar dealers. I expect it is at least partly to do with just protecting the companies that shell out loads of money to keep a store full of their product from being under-cut. Kind of nice if you're a dealer and people don't just order online to save 5$ or whatever then show up expecting you to warranty and install it.

Most of those "dealer only" companies will deal with you direct if there are no nearby brick and mortar dealers. I expect it is at least partly to do with just protecting the companies that shell out loads of money to keep a store full of their product from being under-cut. Kind of nice if you're a dealer and people don't just order online to save 5$ or whatever then show up expecting you to warranty and install it.

I've ran into the same thing with lawn equipment. Stihl is only sold by dealers. High quality stuff but getting it can be an inconvenience.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...