Audio activated aux-in splitter

Participant count
  • Participant list

docdockstader

Utah
I'm wondering if there are any devices on the market that would allow a person to hook two different sources to a single auxiliary input and automatically switch to the active device. I would also need the device to have the ability to "prefer" one source over the other in that if both sources were active it would switch to the primary source until the primary source is no longer active (maybe 2 second delay?). I'm definitely not looking for a simple Y splitter as the secondary source needs to be automatically muted while the primary source is in use.

In a real scenario, the primary source would be a HAM or CB radio and the secondary source would be an MP3 player. In normal operation, the MP3 source would be selected, but if the HAM/CB radio starts receiving a signal, the splitter would need to mute the MP3 player and switch to the HAM/CB. A couple of seconds after the HAM/CB radio signal completes it would switch back to the MP3 player.

Is there such a thing? I've literally google'd for hours...

Search for "audio controlled switch" or "audio controlled relay".

I didn't look too closely, but here is an audio controlled relay that might work:

https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/cebek-pm-11-audio-signal-controlled-relay-switch-module

It is SPDT, so wire it so the CB/HAM activates the relay. Wire the MP3 to the NC contact and the CB/HAM to the NO contact and the AUX in to the common contact. When the CB/HAM has audio it will always switch to itself. Otherwise the MP3 will be selected.

pm-11.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.