Attatching Fiberglass/MDF to the car

CheckmatE

Hey.

I'm going to be starting my first fiberglassing project in the next week and there is one thing that I haven't quite been able to get a grasp on. I'm wondering how I'm supposed to attatch the newly molded box to my car? Am I supposed to screw through it into the side of the trunk, or down through the floor? If I go through the side I'm not sure what I'll be hitting besides the outiside of my car! But, if I go through the floor I don't want to hit my gas tank or something dumb like that.

Let me know how you guys are doing it so I can get a better idea!

Thanks

- Chris

If you make it big enough to touch the sides you probably won't have to screw it down but if not you can screw it down and bolt it on the other side. Just watch where you bolt it down, and drill through the bottom of the trunk.

If you aren't keen on drilling holes in your car or whatever, get some permanent adhesive that is good for a wide temperature range "all weather". When I say permanent, certain things like epoxy are going to be more permanent than others!

If you do drill through the bottom of your car, use rubber washers on both sides w/metal washers to prevent moisture from creating a rust hole over the years.

Make sure that it is mounted securely, this makes it harder to steal, keeps the box from rattling around and keeps it from being a missile in an accident. Use some blocks of mdf and bolt them to different areas of the car, lay your glass up to and onto these blocks of mdf, do not cover the bolts or holes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.