Are these decent?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
I'm in the market for some new 5.25" mids. Previous set was JBL GTO-509c. I'm considering the Cadence CVL-5M. Any thoughts or experience with these? I'm needing them to be either 2 or 4 ohm and capable of 100-150 watts at 4ohm, or 150-200 at 2....just a range I'm wanting to stick to. So, if you can think of something else which fits the bill and is better, without being unreasonably expensive, please make the recommendation!

Here is the kicker with 5.25s. There are a lot left over from the older days. Good stuff that never got used since it's not a common size.

You can save a bit and get a great driver. As long as the surrounds are good age won't matter for them.

Or do you want a lesser new set?

Btw what's the budget? Don't say it don't matter because I'll throw some $1500 Italian joints at you.

I'm in the market for some new 5.25" mids. Previous set was JBL GTO-509c. I'm considering the Cadence CVL-5M. Any thoughts or experience with these? I'm needing them to be either 2 or 4 ohm and capable of 100-150 watts at 4ohm, or 150-200 at 2....just a range I'm wanting to stick to. So, if you can think of something else which fits the bill and is better, without being unreasonably expensive, please make the recommendation!
These will drown out your whole system and sound decent doing it (great if you have more power). can easily take 450 watts rms per speaker but doesn't need much to get loud either. The SQ just keeps on improving when given more power.

https://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-5mr450-ndy-4-5-midrange-neodymium-woofer-4-ohm--294-2704

The JBLs and the Cadence speakers are 2-way component sets. Do you just need 5.25" mids?

These will drown out your whole system and sound decent doing it (great if you have more power). can easily take 450 watts rms per speaker but doesn't need much to get loud either. The SQ just keeps on improving when given more power.
https://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-5mr450-ndy-4-5-midrange-neodymium-woofer-4-ohm--294-2704
Good god!!! Oh, now those look nice!!! I only have 150 watts max available though. I know with some neo speakers you NEED a lot of watts to sound good. Don't suppose you have much experience with these, do you? Or know someone who does? Just want to know if it'll sound good with that amount of wattage going through them.

The JBLs and the Cadence speakers are 2-way component sets. Do you just need 5.25" mids?
The JBLs were component, but these Cadence are just the mids. I think it's the CVL-5K which is the component set. But, to answer your question, I only need the mids. My tweets seem to be doing absolutely fine.

Good god!!! Oh, now those look nice!!! I only have 150 watts max available though. I know with some neo speakers you NEED a lot of watts to sound good. Don't suppose you have much experience with these, do you? Or know someone who does? Just want to know if it'll sound good with that amount of wattage going through them.
I have their 6.5 inch version's on 450 watts per speaker and they drown out my 4 pwx 10s on 1600 rms total while sounding really good doing so. 150 watts will get them sounding decent as long as you have a good active head unit.

Everyone else that tried them loves them. There was a review thread not too long ago by another member that got the same ones from my recommendations.

Itll make everything you've owned so far look like child's play midrange performance wise.

4 sets of midranges from component sets will have a hard time getting as loud and clear as a single pair of these on the same power.

And so it begins.....I'll probably love them so much that I'll have to upgrade the tweets and mid-bass....then I'll have to upgrade the amps....then I'll say I don't have enough bass, so I'll upgrade that. *sigh* I knew I should have just started smoking crack!! lol

Here is the kicker with 5.25s. There are a lot left over from the older days. Good stuff that never got used since it's not a common size. You can save a bit and get a great driver. As long as the surrounds are good age won't matter for them.

Or do you want a lesser new set?

Btw what's the budget? Don't say it don't matter because I'll throw some $1500 Italian joints at you.

Budget is around 200-250 for two speakers. Not wanting to go full component, just replace the 5.25". But, as always, am open to options.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
Sguirrelfeather
Mountain Home, ID
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from