Are there any good low power component sets?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Disarmer
10+ year member

Mexia
Looking to upgrade the audio in my Jeep. I'll be running 2 sets of 6.5" mids, 2 1" tweets, and a small subwoofer somewhere (all active setup). At first I'll be using headunit power for the mids/highs, and then I will be using a mini amplifier behind my dash that should put out around 50rms. Are there any good components (or individual mids/tweeters) that will do well with this power at around $200 a set? Wanting to spend no more than $400 for all 6 mid/highs.

My current choice is the ID CTX65cs comps for the front mids/highs, then a pair of the ID CTX6M mids for the rear (pretty sure those are the same mids as the comp set?). This will total out to around $400. Can I do better for this price?

Thanks for any help.

You want to stick with mids with a 1w/1m sensitivity of above 90 dB for the best results on low power. That means most midbass woofers are out, but you're on the right track, mostly. I don't recommend using a second pair of mids in the rear. It makes more sense to use coaxials as you can always cut the treble. You could also do a pair of convertibles in the rear to truly remove the tweeter, although I don't see the point in doing so.

What will you be using for your "active" part of the system? You're talking about needing 7 channels right now.

You want to stick with mids with a 1w/1m sensitivity of above 90 dB for the best results on low power. That means most midbass woofers are out, but you're on the right track, mostly. I don't recommend using a second pair of mids in the rear. It makes more sense to use coaxials as you can always cut the treble. You could also do a pair of convertibles in the rear to truly remove the tweeter, although I don't see the point in doing so.
What will you be using for your "active" part of the system? You're talking about needing 7 channels right now.
It'll be going in a Jeep, where the rear speakers are in a sound bar right behind your head. I hate having tweeters right there because it just sounds really weird. Figured I would be happier with just mids there. I'll be using one of the new Pioneer double dins which have 3 way active crossover setups. You can set front channel to be highs, rear to be mids, and the sub to be lows. You can set 3 crossover points and curves for each. I was trying to take advantage of this to be able to tune my system further than a passive setup.

The only downside to this is that I believe I would lose my front/rear fade, but I don't think that would bother me.

It'll be going in a Jeep, where the rear speakers are in a sound bar right behind your head. I hate having tweeters right there because it just sounds really weird. Figured I would be happier with just mids there. I'll be using one of the new Pioneer double dins which have 3 way active crossover setups. You can set front channel to be highs, rear to be mids, and the sub to be lows. You can set 3 crossover points and curves for each. I was trying to take advantage of this to be able to tune my system further than a passive setup.
The only downside to this is that I believe I would lose my front/rear fade, but I don't think that would bother me.
Pioneer has a history of making their "high" channels in network mode limited to ~1.2 kHz as the lowest selectable high pass filter frequency. Based on what I've seen so far, the new 2015 AVH head units have the same restriction. This is done to protect tweeters. What this means for you is your front speakers will not play any bass at all, and they will not play a large amount of the important vocal range either.

3-way active systems normally have no rear speakers.

Pioneer has a history of making their "high" channels in network mode limited to ~1.2 kHz as the lowest selectable high pass filter frequency. Based on what I've seen so far, the new 2015 AVH head units have the same restriction. This is done to protect tweeters. What this means for you is your front speakers will not play any bass at all, and they will not play a large amount of the important vocal range either.
3-way active systems normally have no rear speakers.
No rear speakers is also an option! I'm new to active setups, so I don't really know what I want yet. What I was going to do was run the tweeters on the front channel, and both the front and rear mids on the rear channel. That way I would get the correct ranges for each speaker, but just lose the ability to fade front to rear on the HU.

EDIT: This is for when I purchase the amplifier. Until then, I'll just run them passively in the front and not worry about all of this.

EDIT2: Or just buy the amp at the same time.

I can vouch for these as being a fantastic value, solid build quality, and some fine sounding drivers.
Can't go too far wrong with ID though.
Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.