ARC and Zapco -- what's their story?

BodegaBay
10+ year member

AV Enthusiast
I keep reading references to Rob Zech (sp?) and how much ARC and Zapco have similiar amplifier products. Did a founder or designer of one company move to the other? Who has the upper hand in sales and designs currently? Give me the juicy details guys!

I keep reading references to Rob Zech (sp?) and how much ARC and Zapco have similiar amplifier products. Did a founder or designer of one company move to the other? Who has the upper hand in sales and designs currently? Give me the juicy details guys!
ZAPCO stands for Zeff Advanced Products Co

Rob Zeff was the founder, creator, originator 25+yrs ago...the head designer/engineer- he put the word Zapco on the map, and what it stands for today. He NO LONGER DESIGNS FOR ZAPCO OR IS AFFILIATED WITH THE COMPANY.

Zeff sold ZAPCO to ARPA of America not long ago.

Zeff then created Nikola Engineering Inc., a design company of not just amplifiers(bigger picture) He currently designs all Arc Audio amplifiers and for UBUY (Diamond D3's...)

Arc is a fairly new company, 1999 or so i believe.

Sales? They both do fairly well considering the niche market share is small.

I did read it from your link in the thread. It would be interesting to meet Zeff and pick his brains. He seems to be a no nonsense man and one helluva audio engineer.

QUIZ TIME FOLKS!!!!!!

Where did the name Nikola come from for the new company?

That is the name of Robert Zeff's bird. You can still find remnants from the bird throughout the wharehouse........

QUIZ TIME FOLKS!!!!!!
Where did the name Nikola come from for the new company?

That is the name of Robert Zeff's bird. You can still find remnants from the bird throughout the wharehouse........

Sorry to bring this one back up, but since no one answered...

Probably from Nikola Tesla who basically mainstreamed AC current and stole the market from Edison who was in love with DC current.

Just my .02

Sorry to bring this one back up, but since no one answered...
Probably from Nikola Tesla who basically mainstreamed AC current and stole the market from Edison who was in love with DC current.

Just my .02

I always thought westinghouse brought it to the masses

I always thought westinghouse brought it to the masses

Westinghouse bought the rights to it...it was Tesla that did all the experimenting and testing to prove that DC was inferior in terms of mass transcontinental electrical supply to houses.

I thought he said it was his birds name?

I wouldn't doubt if it was his birds name...but where do you think he got the name for the bird //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Heck, more trivia time. Who designed some of Clarion's most popular amps (so popular in fact that the Clarion USA design was used in other parts of the world which is pretty unusual)? Robert Zeff.

Juan

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.