anyway to stiffen a spider?

Now these are great ideas, but i would have to find one that would not be mad at me jacking it off, if its that bad, why not just silicone the **** out of the surround to make it stiff instead...

but seriously maybe try that flex seal shit you see on tv all the time or a similar liquid rubber type thing.
I thought about that but if you think about the screen door boat in the commercial that crap sprayed like a sloppy **** star

There has to be something that will work.. Im sure someone has done this before even though it seems there is not one thing on the world wide web about it..

That sounds like it would work, just wondering that if you used it would it put too much stress on the voice coil, or hurt the sound quality or spl of the sub?

There has to be something that will work.. Im sure someone has done this before even though it seems there is not one thing on the world wide web about it..
I did find one site where they where talking about refurbing the old cloth surrounds with different things like thinned wood glue but they where also talking about 20+yr old full range speakers not subs but I was hoping something there would spark an idea but they had the same thoughts we have,the "whatevers" clever approach.

That sounds like it would work, just wondering that if you used it would it put too much stress on the voice coil, or hurt the sound quality or spl of the sub?
there is no science here, just ethnic engineering so it would be pot luck IMO

pot luck sounds like the best description of it! But it's not like where rigging something where if the results where less then desirable there's no real loss due to the only option being reconing in either scenario. so any idea is a good idea in this game. even ox goo!

I used those HX2 spiders in the past and wasn't impressed overall. I don't think there is anything you can do with sub intact that will really be a long term solution. I suspect anything you do will only shorten the life of what's there and make a mess. Definitely be careful about getting anything on the tinsels. They have a tendency to fail if you get glue or anything on them.

At this point you have little to lose I guesssd.

could he not get a matching new spider, cut a slit in it slip it around the coil over the existing spider packand glue it down? I have used HT subs with segmented spiders.

I just looked at the spider on one of the old subs layin around, idk what most subs have, but in the grooves on this one it has some type of glue in each groove, it looks like you could just add another layer in the grooves, but it seems like it would also have some on the grooves on the bottom which you cannot get to.. just a thought

I'm also facing the sagging spider issue with my 2 12" power hx2s. Reconing is probably the best option. If you do happen to find a way to stiffen the spiders, please post it here. I'm curious to know. I do like the spray starch idea. I may try that.

You can get a recone kit at Speaker Exchange | Rockford Fosgate RFR3112-4 DIY Aftermarket Recone Kit for $80. One day I'll get around to ordering one.

I also inquired with teampsi on recones. Their price was reasonable but you had to send the subs to them. I'm in canada so the shipping would've been too high for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...