Anything comparable to the DEX-P9?

JonJT
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Jersey
So, is the P9 still king of the hill when it comes to Head Units? Its the only head unit I know with the processing required to properly set up a 4 way system with horns. Has any company equalled or bested th is unit in terms or processing power and audio quality?

But not processing abilit........//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Although I would expect a such for onl 800 dollars new.

It would be a interesting comparison from one of the newer alpine A/V head units with digital out to a H701 processor.. All the same processing power, with added control, multi-channel formatting and DVD capabilities.. But for pure SQ, I'd be interested if they could hang with the P9 or DRZ.. and if not, between the two, which would be the best..

At that point in a car, either would be beyond diminishing returns unless the sound-deadening and acoustic tuning and all other components were equally top-notch.

With other cheaper components it would be like having a home theater with all Krell or Levinson front end equipment playing through crap speakers in a non-acoustically treated room with lots of windows and poor cabling and calibration.. I'd rather have mid-fi in a well treated room and excellent speakers, personally.

Multichannel doesnt interest me, but this APline HU and H701 combination does. Do you know if the H701 can handle 4 way crossovers. I see it has the necessary eqs but it doesn't say how many crossovers it has.

It doesn't seem to have any time alignment or path length compensation that I think the P9 has though.

Multichannel doesnt interest me, but this APline HU and H701 combination does. Do you know if the H701 can handle 4 way crossovers. I see it has the necessary eqs but it doesn't say how many crossovers it has.
It doesn't seem to have any time alignment or path length compensation that I think the P9 has though.
It does have time correction.

It has 8 channel output (3 sets of stereo out and two mono outs).

You can set the high and low pass filters, adjust the slope (6-30db) and use graphic or parametric eq for each channel individually.

It also has Dolby and DTS decoding and can create a "phantom" center channel.

I love the crap out of mine.

From what I understand, the 701 has "a" burr-brown dac as well.. Not sure if it's at the level of the 9255 dual 24bit/96khz processing though, but I imagine it's gotta be pretty decent.

If you think about it, the H701 is not only a DAC, processor, EQ and crossover.. but it's also a preamp.. From what I've read about what makes the 9255 so great, it's in good power supply as well.. Supplying a good 8guage line to the DC/DC converter with the toroidial power chokes is probably one reason that unit is such a beast, ontop of the excellent processing. If I were installing a 701, I'd use a nice thick power line and ground, personally.

My only problem with the 701 is that its so old now it should be selling for less money than Alpine wants for it.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

In every other consumer electronics market, after a product has been out for a year or two without a revision the price is lowered because the chips used inside are a generation (or more) behind the newest versions, and cost the manufacturer substancially less.

Oh well............

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

My only problem with the 701 is that its so old now it should be selling for less money than Alpine wants for it.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

In every other consumer electronics market, after a product has been out for a year or two without a revision the price is lowered because the chips used inside are a generation (or more) behind the newest versions, and cost the manufacturer substancially less.

Oh well............

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
IMO, the 701 is still pretty inexpensive for what it does.

It does have time correction.
It has 8 channel output (3 sets of stereo out and two mono outs).

You can set the high and low pass filters, adjust the slope (6-30db) and use graphic or parametric eq for each channel individually.

It also has Dolby and DTS decoding and can create a "phantom" center channel.

I love the crap out of mine.
Alright so it has time correction but, how many filters can I impliment per input channel? I need one high pass, two bandpass and a low pass filter for every input channel from the digital out of the HU. Thats two channels alltogether so 8 filters total; 4 per channel. Can the H701 do this?

But not processing abilit........//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Although I would expect a such for onl 800 dollars new.
The DRZ9255 has built-in 4-way crossovers. You have to have both the DEX-P9 and the DEQ-P9 to have any kind of processing.

From what I understand, the 701 has "a" burr-brown dac as well.. Not sure if it's at the level of the 9255 dual 24bit/96khz processing though, but I imagine it's gotta be pretty decent.
If you think about it, the H701 is not only a DAC, processor, EQ and crossover.. but it's also a preamp.. From what I've read about what makes the 9255 so great, it's in good power supply as well.. Supplying a good 8guage line to the DC/DC converter with the toroidial power chokes is probably one reason that unit is such a beast, ontop of the excellent processing. If I were installing a 701, I'd use a nice thick power line and ground, personally.
Being that the H701 is old, it probably isn't up to par with the bleeding edge. I don't quite know how "bad" it is though so I will have to investigate more.

As for power supply and ground wire gauge, it gets to the point of diminishing returns fast. The H701 can't draw anymore than 5 amps at 12 volts which isn't much power at all. Your supply wires don't have to be that large. You can even calculate the power losses for size and type of wire you are using. You don't NEED huge wire to transmit power effectively for this unit.

Alright so it has time correction but, how many filters can I impliment per input channel? I need one high pass, two bandpass and a low pass filter for every input channel from the digital out of the HU. Thats two channels alltogether so 8 filters total; 4 per channel. Can the H701 do this?

4 filters per channel? Sorry man. I don't understand what you mean by that or what you're trying to do. I know my way inside and out of the 701, but just don't grasp what you are asking.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.