Anyone use this sound deadener?

West1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Looking to deaden the 3rd row and trunk of my Tahoe. Pure black deadener is preferred and like most of us, trying to buy the best quality at a low price. I was looking for noico but seems it’s out of stock.

any one use this at 55.00 for 36sqft?
Pls post a different brand at similar cost that is black/dark.

tyvm!

MAT66 ProBlack 80 mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Vehicle Audio Sound Insulation and Dampening Material https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKLKHN5/?tag=caraudiocom-20

Noico, Hushmat, Fatmat all of those are the same company and have more asphalt then others. Check out the group called the "The Deadening" on Facebook. There is a guy from DIYMA who has spent thousands on equipment to test out all sound deadening and how they react to just about everything. Those I listed above were among the poorest out there. Resonix rated the best, Second Skin 2nd and then Dynamat was 3rd or 4th. I can't remember his name Chris maybe? But he knows his stuff and is always testing new sound deadener that comes out and compares all of it.

I put Noico in my TC. Honestly not really impressed. Foil is pretty thin compared to my previously used deadeners.
Agreed. STP (who makes Noico) even posted online that there lowend STP Silver line was multiple decibels better than there standard Noico line.

Another problem with Noico is because it's so cheap it encourages the meathead mentality of "oh I can do 100% coverage or I can do multiple layers" which is NOT how sound deadener works. Full coverage comes from the myth that deadener blocks sound which it doesn't. It helps prevent the panels from vibrating (reasonance) but it doesn't actually block noise. Most people think "oh if I do full coverage i'll block the noise from coming it" when it doesn't work like that. You need something like MLV (mass loaded vinyl)

For most high quality deadenders 25-40% coverage is more than enough. You eventually get to the point of diminishing returns. Think of it like a drum cymbal, if I apply 25% coverage of highend deadener to the cymbal and then hit it with the drum stick the cymbal will hardly make any noise. Me adding 75% more coverage to that same cymbal might make it 5% quitier if even that. If I did 50-60% coverage of a lowend deadener it might realistically be louder than 25% of a highend deadener.

I'd personally use a higher quality deadener but less of it. Better results, less weight to the car, gurantee of no cheap fillers or smell, and might actually not cost more money when you factor in your buying less of it.

It's the same thing with high-end amps. People will act like your an idiot for not buying whatever forum boner budget knockoff is on the market but reality is the higher priced variant is better in the long run (amp will last 2-3x longer, can be wired lower, actually does rated power, and is less susceptible to over-heating)

TLDR: Pass on Noico and use a higher quality deadener. Your not actually saving money by buying it when you factor in the medicore results and extra amount needed for desired outcome

Last edited:
Agreed. STP (who makes Noico) even posted online that there lowend STP Silver line was multiple decibels better than there standard Noico line.

Another problem with Noico is because it's so cheap it encourages the meathead mentality of "oh I can do 100% coverage or I can do multiple layers" which is NOT how sound deadener works. Full coverage comes from the myth that deadener blocks sound which it doesn't. It helps prevent the panels from vibrating (reasonance) but it doesn't actually block noise. Most people think "oh if I do full coverage i'll block the noise from coming it" when it doesn't work like that. You need something like MLV (mass loaded vinyl)

For most high quality deadenders 25-40% coverage is more than enough. You eventually get to the point of diminishing returns. Think of it like a drum cymbal, if I apply 25% coverage of highend deadener to the cymbal and then hit it with the drum stick the cymbal will hardly make any noise. Me adding 75% more coverage to that same cymbal might make it 5% quitier if even that. If I did 50-60% coverage of a lowend deadener it might realistically be louder than 25% of a highend deadener.

I'd personally use a higher quality deadener but less of it. Better results, less weight to the car, gurantee of no cheap fillers or smell, and might actually not cost more money when you factor in your buying less of it.

It's the same thing with high-end amps. People will act like your an idiot for not buying whatever forum boner budget knockoff is on the market but reality is the higher priced variant is better in the long run (amp will last 2-3x longer, can be wired lower, actually does rated power, and is less susceptible to over-heating)

TLDR: Pass on Noico and use a higher quality deadener. Your not actually saving money by buying it when you factor in the medicore results and extra amount needed for desired outcome

OK, I don't have an issue with anything you said in your post except the 100 percent coverage part. I specifically chose noico because I was going 100 percent coverage with deadener and CCF.

Yes, there is a diminishing returns on deadener. And a heavier product will have more effect using less product. The largest effect is adding mass to the center of whatever panel. The closer to the edge you get the less effect you get. In my case I covered entire panels and added additional deadener to the center, then covered with CCF. I also had plenty of product to treat interior trim as well. Keep in mind I have over 350 SQ feet of both CCF and deadener in my jetta. Weight isn't really a concern for me personally, but cost was at that time. For what I spent on the CCF and deadener, I'm more than happy with the results. If I had tried to use a more "premium" product I would have spent almost 3 times as much. Could I have used less of a premium product? Most likely, but I was doing full coverage regardless.

MLV is next on my list, but it's a bit pricy and hard to work with. It needs to be isolated from the vehicle among other things. There is more to a deadener than pure performance.

As for your last comment about amps, I will definitely agree to a point. I have been more than impressed with my taramps Smart 3, I loved my Mmats d2100.2, but there will always be a soft spot in my heart for the good ol audiopipe boner from way back when. Hell, I'm about to buy an audison AP F8.9 to replace my Helix stage amp.

Premium equipment definitely has its benefits, but the budget market exists for a reason. 70 percent of the performance for a third of the price is a win in my book.

Matt

If I had tried to use a more "premium" product I would have spent almost 3 times as much. Could I have used less of a premium product? Most likely, but I was doing full coverage regardless.
In your specific scenario (full coverage) yes but I was speaking more in realistic/general terms.
70 percent of the performance for a third of the price is a win in my book.
Yes and No. I agree with the principal but the point of my post was scientifically/result wise you actualy spend about the same buying low-end deadeners and smearing it on there versus using a more expensive product but using way less of it.

MAT66 (the product in question) might be 70% cheaper than a premium brand but if you have to apply 2x as much to only get 60% of the results then you can't really call it better performance for the price or call it a win.

Last edited:
Anyone use the sky high audio deadener? Curious if it’s made with the toxic stuff. I think 54 sqft would cover the 3rd row panels, hatch and trunk of my Tahoe.

Looking to deaden the 3rd row and trunk of my Tahoe. Pure black deadener is preferred and like most of us, trying to buy the best quality at a low price. I was looking for noico but seems it’s out of stock.

any one use this at 55.00 for 36sqft?
Pls post a different brand at similar cost that is black/dark.

tyvm!

MAT66 ProBlack 80 mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Vehicle Audio Sound Insulation and Dampening Material https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKLKHN5/?tag=caraudiocom-20

What is Pure Black Deadener?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...