Anyone remember that crazy spinning Typhoon sub (or something like that)??

servo18yp.jpg

cyclone_sub.jpg

Although, i don't think the top one is a cyclone, rather a variation on the same concept.

I'd like to hear one in action.
Ive heard it. I have never heard a sub extend so low. Nothing will come close to the cyclone in low end extension, but then again the cyclone isnt really a normal speaker. They will pop up on ebay every now and then, but it is probably the one of the rarest subs every built. it will go farrrrrrr lower than any cone driver out their.

Its definately a collectors item, and if I had one I wouldnt sell it. Its still way ahead of its time. Unfortunately it didnt last long because some idots would over power it, and complain to pg about it. It only needs about 300watts or so to perform well.

The reason for that is it definitely won't fit in my car, so I intend to use if for HT use ...
What kind of space are we talking about here? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

on some site a 4 door honda civic has one in the trunk. I saw one when it first came out. We have this thing called monster wars, it's suppose to be a tent sale/ expo kind of thing. this guy I use to hang out with told me that it will be there. I ended up seeing four in a suburban. My friend told him to play test tones and I didn't know what a test tone was. Man that was tight it got so low it started pushing hard on my ears till the track stopped play. They. make this weird motor buzzing sound. The veins on the cyclone move and vibrate on the cylinder to make sound.

Let's just say my 0.9 ft^3 ported enclosure tuned to 29 Hz for a Kicker C10a is a tight fit in my trunk
Oh, please...I thought you were talking about a 10-15cF enclosure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Not like that would be a tight fit anyway.

Cyclones play excessively low, but they **** for the higher freqs subwoofers are expected to play. Most (intelligent) people Ive known to run one actually used a conventional subwoofer to compliment the cyclone.

Like everything else, they aren't trhe perfect speaker. They have their advantages and disadvantages. they weren't banned from competition circuits for being too good, if that's what someone is thinking. They simply operate under a totally different design, and therefore performance output characteristics are radically different than conventional subs.

My understanding of the history of the cyclone is that the original design of it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than the version Phoenix Gold released. Apparently productions costs would've been too high and they skimped out on the materials and overall led to a product that the designer was not happy with. I still have been yearning to hear one - but hell I can't even find an XXX to listen to.

"It appears that the product is discontinued. I wonder why. They couldn't tell me. I tought it was rather fun to buy one and test it, but alas... You might find it interesting that our own Tom Danley designed the Cyclone and ServoDrive liscenced it to Phoenix Gold. Unfortunately Phoenix took too many design liberites before final production and all the quality aluminum parts in all prototypes became cheaply molded plastics with poor tolerances and rigidity. Also, the original design was for an IB use, and they then tried to change it to work in many applicaitons and ended up with something which wasn't quite optimal for any alignments at all. For what it's worth,

Tom had a similar pair of these units loaded into a crawl space which had response down to 11_13Hz (I forget). The final Cyclone ended up having some reliabliity problems along with odd parameters for the car market, and ultimately died. Interestingly, I believe one of the Hi_Fi rags had noted a Cyclone in a sealed box to be what he thought was a reference subwoofer and one of the top innovations on the market... and this was a while after the product was out"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.