Anyone not impressed with CDT Classic comps? what did i do wrong?

xplo40

I replaced my 6x8 infinity kappas with some CDT CL-S50A comps. I used an plastic adapter plate I found on ebay to fit 5.25 and a tweeter in the 6x8 location. Also have a JBL GTQ200 bridged powering them. So 100 watts a speaker.

In my 2005 Ford Explorer, the stock location has the speakers mounted at a 45 degree angle. when I tried to mount the adapter plate with the tweeters installed, there were clearance issues. So I popped the tweeter out a bit out of the adapter plate so it sticks out a bit from the adapter plate but is still on there and mounted the tweeter below the mid driver. When I placed the door panel back on the tweeter kind of sat below the grill opening so that may be an issue. When I tried to mount the adapter plate with the tweeter above the driver, the metal behind kind of forced the tweeter to point a little downward. SO I kept it with the tweeter below the mid.

Listening I thought the kappas sounded a lot cleaner, except for the tweeter not being as smooth as the CDT's. Is it my install, would making MDF brackets help with this issue? or are the CDT CL's just way overrated?

The cdt CL's are way over rated.

try to work on your install.

For the Mids try making a MDF plate, which will much more studier, & try deadening your doors as well.

As for the tweeter, you need to find a good location to mount them.

once you get your gear sounding right it will sound better then those Kappa's

i luv my CDT's

i have ES02, ES06+ and DRT26 (on the way) up front on the MX1000 xover and just luv the setup. smooth, hits hard and very clean...

my first set of tweets were the TW22 that went bye bye when my head units rca's decided to come unsoldered, and sent dc voltage to them. frying them instantly.. so i am waiting on the DRT26 set which comes with the silk, aluminum, and titanium. this set allows you to swap out the tweets in seconds.

whats comparable to cdt that gets loud as cdt but sounds better?? I run cdt and sure they get loud but i wish i could find something that gets as loud but sounds a little cleaner?

i had some cdt cl6.5.... still have the tw24 running active with image dynamics cx62s.... i didnt think the cdt's were bad at all for the price, but the id's are definitely all around better. sound better, get louder, take more power....

silk tweeters seem to be more natural

I dont think i have hear aluminum tweeters, and titanium are super duper harsh to me.

CDT overpriced and over hyped.

IMO they are no better than most cheap brands. They have a couple drivers that excel but the bulk of there stuff is less than impressive.

Here is a list of CDT stuff I have owned own and tested out. So I have tried a few of the CDT offerings.

EF-8

M6

ES-600

ES-620 Gold

HD-3

DRT 26

6 x 9 Prototypes never went into production

I run the ES-620 and HD-3 in the wifes SUV as a quazi-active 3-way front stage. The tweeters are ok, HD-3 are pretty decent the ES-600 will not play very low and ***** in the midrange area but they will get pretty loud. They do a decent job keeping up with 2 15's. All in all they are in the midrange of brands that I have ran. Not the worst but no where close to the best. The issue is still their price which makes them a horrible bang for the buck.IMO

For the money Hertz kills the CDT stuff.

I'm not a fan of CDT.

The CL62s were the first ever components I bought. They were a step up from the Alpine coaxils I've owned. But it was quite immediate and evident that they were lacking. 2 months later, I researched my next set and bought a pair of old school Aura comps. In a side by side test, the Aura's were better in every way...in otherwords, they kicked CDTs ass.

I hope you get things worked out. If not, then do what I did and flog them while their relatively new.

I had those cdt after alpine type r comp and they were a little upgrade. But id's ctx are so much better in every ways.

What were you expecting of a 99$ set?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.