Anyone listened to Hertz and Focal three way Comps?

There's also a lot to be said about true low distortion motors and exotic soft parts when it comes to midbass/midrange and tweeters. Install aside, these are the things that will offer uncolored reproduction, spacial & temporal coherence by way of low THD, and fast rise & decay time when signal is applied and removed. This is when true detail is released. A good example of what I'm trying to convey is the difference heard between a very nice conventional midrange driver when compared to a ribbon midrange. No matter how good that conventional driver is, the ribbon will nearly always release the details with a see through quality that is unmatched. This is often the difference when moving into high priced equipment form mid level equipment. At least in my experience.

I have the Hertz Esk 165.5 2 ways. They are $279. For a great starter kit, After a TON of tuning time. Ive gotten them to sound pretty DECENT. There seems to be a rediculous 1khz gains in my car(talking like 10db). Idk if thats the speaker or what. There is a noticeable distortion in the midrange however, for the price. I have no complaints.

I'm looking at $1000-$1500 2 ways now. I don't know what the hell to get. I'm sure at this point the differences would be covered up with the tune.

Sinfoni T

Dynaudio Esotec

Hertz Mille

Moral Elates

Focal KRX2

Audiofrog GB

There is a diminishing return as the price goes up. $100 to $500 is a huge gain. $1000 to $1500 isn't.

I'm looking at $1000-$1500 2 ways now. I don't know what the hell to get. I'm sure at this point the differences would be covered up with the tune.Sinfoni T

Dynaudio Esotec

Hertz Mille

Moral Elates

Focal KRX2

Audiofrog GB

There is a diminishing return as the price goes up. $100 to $500 is a huge gain. $1000 to $1500 isn't.
even at that price, each set sounds different. they can all sound very good with install and tuning and any of them can win SQ competitions, but they will each sound different.

i haven't heard Sinfoni or Audiofrog but i would expect good things from them too.

the Mille are drastically different than the High Energy XL.

even at that price, each set sounds different. they can all sound very good with install and tuning and any of them can win SQ competitions, but they will each sound different.
i haven't heard Sinfoni or Audiofrog but i would expect good things from them too.

the Mille are drastically different than the High Energy XL.
How would you rank the others in terms of off axis. And who it be cost effective to change with a car that can already win short of finals

Th at would require testing I haven't done but I can say that the hyperbolic cone on the Mille was designed for better off - axis response and is the only cone designed as such.

I measured the ML165 and got response up to 6kHz at the drivers seat from the driver side cone. All other speakers rolled off above 3500Hz.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

what can i say, just cant justify that price tag at this point in my life. are we talking about significant gains in SQ at that price, or are we in the land of diminishing returns because the install is almost as good as it can get?
Basically all harshness at higher volumes will be gone and you will go deaf from just enjoying the system for longer than humanly possible. It will also make all your other speakers sound like they had a towel covering them. If you are fine with your current speakers then definitely do not try any high end speakers or else your sense of SQ satisfaction will be moved to a different and more costly echelon.

ashamed you dont have CDT listed there.. morel is overprice. sound ecellent lack loudness. dynaudio is ****** but they need a ton of power as well..

the focals tweeter while the new ones are better are still abit to brite for me.

CDT Audio ES-010

and you can buil a 2nd order for the mid and 4th order for the tweeter for about 300 with very high Q inductors and caps..

Film and Foil Crossover Capacitors in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 295

foil type caps

Copper Foil Inductor Crossover Coils in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 298

the inductors are pretty **** nice. id use the on the woofer along with the foil caps.

if you want low tolerance caps for the tweeters you can but i prefer the film and foil caps. they have a pretty high tolance but i think they are the best sounding.. just a personal preference..

Last edited by a moderator:
ashamed you dont have CDT listed there.. morel is overprice. sound ecellent lack loudness. dynaudio is ****** but they need a ton of power as well..the focals tweeter while the new ones are AT better are still abit to brite for me.

CDT Audio ES-010

and you can buil a 2nd order for the mid and 4th order for the tweeter for about 300 with very high Q inductors and caps..
If moral is good enough for Gary Summers it's good enough for me.

I think I've settled on the entry level Utopia active kit.

These without the crossover. Focal Utopia Be 165W-RC 6-3/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

each to his own.. god thats over priced.. lol ive head them and they are AWESOME still rather a soft dome tweeter and a mid with more lowend presence i can say they have an amazing mid range though

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.