anyone know how to tint?

rebelfromva
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
VA
I'm looking into tinting my windows. Figure if I can do enough research I could save some money and do it my self. Anyone on here know how to tint? What are some suggestions on how to do it and what would be the best film to use?

Llumar and Solar Gard are the best tint film.

You have to have a heat gun, a spray bottle, and a squeegee. You clean the outside of the window and lay the tint over it. Cut around the outer most part edge of the window, but inside the door metal. Then you spray the inside of the window with your squirt bottle, lay the tint on, squeegee the water out and heat shrink it to the window. You cant roll the windows down for 4-7 days depending on how warm it is. If its about 55+ you can get away with 4 days.

most places around here tint from the inside.
Then they do it wrong.

They do it from the outside because there is a little strip on the inside of the window that the window slides down into when you roll it down. If you do it on the inside as you heat it up and shrink it to the window the bottom of the tint comes up above that stripe and will start peeling. If you do it from the outside the bottom edge of the tint will never be above that stripe and wont peel from the bottom up.

Tint and alarms are things I leave to the pro's, but by all means try doing it yourself. I just prefer to save myself from the frustration and have somebody else do it.

Then they do it wrong.
They do it from the outside because there is a little strip on the inside of the window that the window slides down into when you roll it down. If you do it on the inside as you heat it up and shrink it to the window the bottom of the tint comes up above that stripe and will start peeling. If you do it from the outside the bottom edge of the tint will never be above that stripe and wont peel from the bottom up.
every place ive had do mine do it from the inside, they use an adheasive glue to make sure it stays on the window and yes its HARD to get off or even peal it (i got tickets and had to remove it from my front windows) places dont tint the outside for many reasons....harsh weather conditions that can damage the tint...mud, road salt, acid rain, and from people who can just walk up to ur car and scratch the hell outta the tint cuz its on the outside of the window....the film is only measured and cut from the outside

EDIT: oh and goodluck going thru a carwash with tint on the outside lol

I think there is some confusion on this.

Dragon is correct on how they trim and form the section using the outside of the window to do so. However, it is applied on to the inside of the window after it is fitted to the glass.

its a nightmare to do it yourself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif i tried it and lets just say it didnt go well

its a nightmare to do it yourself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif i tried it and lets just say it didnt go well
If you have a plotting machine it is pretty easy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif

i was 16..first car.71 ford ltd..lmao...2 miles of tint and 0 patience //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

I have tinted a few of my cars.

It is not that hard to do.

For the price that you can get it done, it is not really worth it.

Ebay sells pre-cut tint for most cars, much easier than cutting it yourself.

i used it last time I tinted my truck.

The professionals have to learn somewhere right? Anyone have any links to a written guide?
I'm not sure, but youtube has just about everything so I would guess there is a "how to" on there. Or even a quick google search will work.

It is pretty straight forward just a little time consuming if you are not a patient person.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.