Anyone in here a water system engineer?

metalheadjoe

Unapologetic prick
10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
OK, ignore the pump. It is 3 pumps with their own drive controlled by a single Triplex unit. It is ment to rotate what is the lead/lag pumps to equalize wear on the pumps and increase output to match demand. It is a working, fully functional, programmable, self-contained unit.

This is an example of the system we have: https://towle-whitney.com/water-booster-pumps/triplex-water-booster/

Yes, the plumbing is going to be changed, but due to how the building is layed out and machine locations there is going to be a very large difference in dynamic head between outlets. The concern here isn't anything to do with the pump, it's before/after the pump. Before the pump is the water storage system that the pump will draw from and after the pump is obviously the supply for the 4 machines, 6 hose bibs, 5 handheld water polishers, and one small nozzle for flushing the runoff trenches.

Matt
That helps.

I believe you're looking for a mechanical engineer. I would start with a mechanical contractor and ask who they recommend to design a new system.

Good luck.
- Joe

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That helps.

I believe you're looking for a mechanical engineer. I would start with a mechanical contractor and ask who they recommend to design a new system.

Good luck.
- Joe
It's not a mechanical problem according to a few local companies. One company referred us to a company in Tampa who said "this project is outside of the scope of work we focus on", and they told us to look into a water systems engineer, because "they would have the software and know-how to properly calculate the constraints and flows within the system we have and suggest alterations or replacements".

Been passed around like a cheap stripper at a bachelor party so far and nobody can tell me why they can't specifically offer advice.

Matt

metalheadjoe

Unapologetic prick
10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
It's not a mechanical problem according to a few local companies. One company referred us to a company in Tampa who said "this project is outside of the scope of work we focus on", and they told us to look into a water systems engineer, because "they would have the software and know-how to properly calculate the constraints and flows within the system we have and suggest alterations or replacements".

Been passed around like a cheap stripper at a bachelor party so far and nobody can tell me why they can't specifically offer advice.

Matt
Sounds like they fed you a line, unless domestic water is really different from hp loop water or hot/chill water.

Sorry i wasn't helpful. Good luck!

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like they fed you a line, unless domestic water is really different from hp loop water or hot/chill water.

Sorry i wasn't helpful. Good luck!
All good man, appreciate the help. And in this case it is different than a HP loop or hot/chill. It's relatively low volume/low flow compared to commercial or domestic off the shelf systems. I'll probably end up having to figure it out myself and crossing my fingers.

Matt

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
He got it for 3 grand, put 2 in it for servicing, and here we are. Getting a similar system new would cost at least 30k, so I understand why they want to use it.
Fair enough.

So if it's a matter of the plumbing possibly being a weak link why not call up the plumber pipefitter union hall and see if they have any members that would know their way around this sort of system? Seems like the sort of thing someone there might know the "rules" for. Alternately a boilermaker may also be versed on high pressure systems so you might could try their union hall.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.