anyone good with Ford's?

garretttt4
10+ year member

big pimpin
Watertown sd
So one of my buddies has a blown 04 mustang with a auto v6 in it that he said he'd sell me cheap. I was thinking about taking the engine out of my gmas 03 crown Vic. 4.6l v8. It's supposedly the same engine as the mustang gt with lower gears...... If I did would the motor mounts and transmission mounts match without any modifications? Or would they be off since the v6 is smaller?

It is doable but a lot of work & time. If it was a factory v8 it would bolt right in.

Do you really want to change all the motor mounts, k member, transmission mount & tunnel, & put in a stronger rear end?

It is doable but a lot of work & time. If it was a factory v8 it would bolt right in.
Do you really want to change all the motor mounts, k member, transmission mount & tunnel, & put in a stronger rear end?
Yeah ik It's gunna be work. But I'm willing to do it..... I'm not gunna be doing enough power to need to beef up the rear end..... Just gunna cam the engine and do headers..... Just concerned about the motor mounts mostly....

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

My buddy says it can be done. Says not a direct swap but not a hard swap.
You'll need a few trips to the junkyard and (his estimate) ~ $1,500 in parts to do it.
Like what parts?

Yeah ik It's gunna be work. But I'm willing to do it..... I'm not gunna be doing enough power to need to beef up the rear end..... Just gunna cam the engine and do headers..... Just concerned about the motor mounts mostly.... 

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Like what parts?
Wiring harness, computer, exhaust, maybe the intake, rad hoses, power steering lines and silly shit like that.

i believe on the v6's it should be a straight drop, i don't think that they changed the cross member or any of that at most all it would be is rear end and maybe suspension if they changed that for the extra weight of the v8 just do a lil googling and you can find out. i know thats all it is on the older fox bodies because we are doing a v8 into a 4 cyl coupe right now and the only difference is rear end and suspension thats it.

i believe on the v6's it should be a straight drop, i don't think that they changed the cross member or any of that at most all it would be is rear end and maybe suspension if they changed that for the extra weight of the v8 just do a lil googling and you can find out. i know thats all it is on the older fox bodies because we are doing a v8 into a 4 cyl coupe right now and the only difference is rear end and suspension thats it.
Yeah ik about the suspension.....but if you have the same engine as what would go in a gt why would you need a harness ? Don't they use the same one? Wouldn't the computer be the same too ? They're just 1 year apart.

the primary harness should be about the same but you probably will have to change the computer and the ignition harness just bring it with the engine when you remove it they should plug right up. you shouldn't have to do the entire harness because that should all be the same, at most you might have to hit a junk yard or some where and get the ignition harness and computer out of a v8 mustang if the vic's have different plug ins but that won't cost much at all.

the primary harness should be about the same but you probably will have to change the computer and the ignition harness just bring it with the engine when you remove it they should plug right up. you shouldn't have to do the entire harness because that should all be the same, at most you might have to hit a junk yard or some where and get the ignition harness and computer out of a v8 mustang if the vic's have different plug ins but that won't cost much at all.
That's what I was thinking..... Was hoping to not have to spend more than 400 for hooking it up.... Will I have to shorten the driveshaft since the crown Vic is a bigger car or will it be short enough?

That's what I was thinking..... Was hoping to not have to spend more than 400 for hooking it up.... Will I have to shorten the driveshaft since the crown Vic is a bigger car or will it be short enough?
5. What parts will I need to swap? - The short answer is: The engine and related components, the exhaust, the computer and all engine wiring. If going to 4.6 you will also have to swap transmissions, and brake boosters. K members are the same for GT and V6. 94 95 3.8s had motor mounts to fit the 5.0 crossmember. In 96-04 the 3.8s got different mounts to fit the 4.6 crossmember.

V6 to V8 swap FAQ- Newbies Read Here First! - Ford Mustang Forums

most of this should be no problem if you are pulling it from the vic the only thing that you are going to actually have to buy is all of the mustang specific things like you said the vic is bigger but as far as the expensive parts go you should be good (engine, tranny, etc).

38542560008_large.jpg

contact these people //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

It is going to be a lot of work for the performance of a new taurus. :p

honestly though, after you put the crown vic engine/trans/computer/harness/etc. in, you'll simply need a full v8 mustang exhaust, intake/air box, and possibly driveshaft if the crown vic trans is a diff. length. You're going to have more torque/power and an open differential too so have fun with the one wheel wonder.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.