Any painting technique tips?

purerx7tt
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
naples
Alright just finished a custom fiberglass box with about 30+ hours into it. Its full covered with body fill and sanded with 220 and ready to paint. I have a proffessional air gun, 1 gallon of black pearl paint , primer, and all the stuff i need to use it. Now is their any tips to painting before I paint? Let me know some of your expirence, and so I do not make the same mistakes as you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i would say practice on something else so you can have a real nice box with no runs no bubbles ect. just practice a bit with some cheap paint so you can get the feel for the gun and painting with it

make sure to do nice even strokes begin painting a little before the object you want painted and end a little after the opbject to make sure the whole surface is covered. i 2nd practicing. just but some cheapo paint or something and spray some scrap woord or cardboard

so u got all this stuff and dont know how to paint? interesting. its not hard just do it like bigrick said and make sure u do slow and smooth strokes and dont try to cover the hole box in one coat

The first coat is the hardest, and the most important. Don't let the paint completely dry between coats. Wet sand with 2000 grit and water when it's all done and completely dry. Be patient.

what r u preping the surface with, you are gonna need some solvent to clean the surface really well before you spray anything. if there is dust, grease, etc.. on the surface your paint will fish eye, peel off, blemish, and so on. make sure you mix your paint correctly or the results will be the same. shooting the paint is the easy part, it's the prep work thats a mutha f***er.

you should be able to see the filler thru the first coat of primer. keep the gun at a 90 deg. angle from the object. i know alot of people that will keep thier hand in one spot and rock the gun:( sand the primer down w/ 1000grit before color. sand the color down w/ 1500 grit before clear. sand the clear w/ 2000 grit and polish.

ya, i sand alot but my **** comes out w/ a MIRROR finish:D

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.