Any fiberglass guru's on here?

Gbob2003
10+ year member

Great Odens Raven
So I want to make a vented fiberglass box tuned at 28 htz and about 2-3 cubes, trick is I have never expiremented with FG. So I was wondering if anyone on here could maybe help me out with what all I need and step by steps on the process of laying the cloth and applying the resin/hardener mixture. Also wondering how it is colored as well? Normal spray paint or anything special? Thanks!

As said above, there are many tutorials out there where you can see step by step instructions. As for the finish, it can be anything you want. If you want to paint it and have it actually look good you should get it painted professionally. I have brought my enclosures to a body work shop and had them paint it. The price will depend on how much work they will have to do. The hardest part if you want it painted is getting the enclosure perfectly smooth so the paint looks good.

better buy alot of fiberglass resign, mat, cups, brushes, gloves, sandpaper, and alot more mat
And a respirator if you are going to attempt to do it inside!!! Oh, and then buy more mat and resign....don't forget fleece.

How does that port work? Thats whats confusing me. All of the tutorials are for sealed boxed. How would I go about throwing a port in the mix?
Depends on what kind of port. If it is a slot port..then build the port and use dowels to place it/brace it and continue on. If you are doing a precision port then you cut some more circles and you place it just like you would a sub/speaker.

might have to create some baffles for that. By a stretchy material that can soak up resin (fleece) was mentioned above, some people don't like the mat to be so thick, other people have used like panty hose, basically anything stretchy that can soak up resin. pull and stretch the design you want with that and stiff materials like wood or something to hold the fleece. Staple it down when it is looking good, try to cut the fleece as little as possible while keeping the shape as smooth as possible. Then just resin up the fleece add fiberglass mat in strips and coat that down with resin/hardner mixture. and repeat untill you have a lot of layers since you're making substage with it. need multi layers for strength. let dry, apply some bondo or some kind of buffering material and sand it down to get a smooth nice surface, then paint. Or forgo all that and just wrap it in some felt or carpet or vinyl or something.

might have to create some baffles for that. By a stretchy material that can soak up resin (fleece) was mentioned above, some people don't like the mat to be so thick, other people have used like panty hose, basically anything stretchy that can soak up resin. pull and stretch the design you want with that and stiff materials like wood or something to hold the fleece. Staple it down when it is looking good, try to cut the fleece as little as possible while keeping the shape as smooth as possible. Then just resin up the fleece add fiberglass mat in strips and coat that down with resin/hardner mixture. and repeat untill you have a lot of layers since you're making substage with it. need multi layers for strength. let dry, apply some bondo or some kind of buffering material and sand it down to get a smooth nice surface, then paint. Or forgo all that and just wrap it in some felt or carpet or vinyl or something.
Thanks man. How wide should my port be for 30 hz?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.