Any Critique? 2nd Gen Explorer CRX style 6 12's

Participant count
  • Participant list

Joe89
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I got 6 12" RD classics. I currently have them in a horn sub up port up which I hear is not too great.

Going in a 1997 4dr explorer

I designed this to be built tomorrow, should i tweak it at all?

I am afraid its a bit too little net volume...

Max dim 41"w x 24"t x 33"d

Doing double baffle up top so leaves me with 15.6^ft and the port takes up 4.7^cuft so I only have 10.9^ft before sub / 45degree displacement....

Port is 197 sq in , 36" long, tuning the box to 35hz.

Heres a crude sketchup w/o 45's / threaded rod

rdclassics3lj8.jpg

Also, are subs fine where they are or should i move them further towards the back? I have them far away from hatch as possible

mount subs closer to hatch

good job on subs up, port back

i would shoot for more around 12 cu ft net for those subs

i would keep at least 6" or so between the hatch and box so your rear hatch doesnt act too much like a port wall.

What is more important, ~200sq in port area , or less port area so it makes some room for more net volume? I think the final net volume as it stands right now will be 10 cu ft or so after threaded rod / 45's / woofer displacement, maybe a little more... but if I go any larger I have to have a smaller port.....

Regardless I think I'll build this one and see how it sounds. And yes I have 5-6" between my hatch and my box

i wouldnt go any less then 200sq in of port. And if your that tight on space, i wouldnt worry about 45's.

and fyi, i know you can get a 16cu ft box behind that seat and still be able to see out the rear window. i've had an explorer before.

No idea how you figure that...

I have it coming up above the seat line a couple inches high as I want it to still see out (24")

I have it in between the wheel wells with no more than a quarter of an inch of extra space (41")

It touches my rear seat and comes all the way to 5" away from the back hatch (33")

Gives me 15.66 cu ft after wood displacement w/ a double baffle

and then I got a 4.73 cu ft port

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.